How to locate subframe after you carpet??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicman619

Reaction score
I'm having issues trying to figure out the best way to locate and mark my aluminum angle subframe. If I lay the plywood down I could somehow mark on the wood with a marker where the supports are. I could do this by hundreds of measurements or by using a cardboard template. BUT, if I carpet the plywood like everyone says I should, how do I find the subframe? I'm sure I'm not the only one to sit and ponder this delemma. Any insight would help.

Try putting painter's tape in line with the supports beyond where the deck will cover. That way you can see where the supports are and remove the tape after you are finished installing the deck.

gillhunter said:
Try putting painter's tape in line with the supports beyond where the deck will cover. That way you can see where the supports are and remove the tape after you are finished installing the deck.
thats what worked for me.i also took pics of the framing before the plywood went down.

I always draw a small diagram with measurements from one end of the plywood to the centers of the framing. Then I use a story pole at the centers to keep all of the fasteners uniform.

DSC02248.jpg

One I learned from putting drywall on a ceiling was to mark the vertical walls where the studs from the ceiling were...then you can do a chalk line across the new drywall real easy.

Would work the same on a boat I suppose. Mark on the vertical sides of the boat where you put framing.