A few questions about some modifications to my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on what I'm going to end up with for a finished product yet, but I'm changing it up.

I have a 16/48 Basstracker

I want to paint it and get away from the bare aluminum look. I'm thinking it's going with a green and white motif.

I don't know what kind of paint to use, but I want it to be nice and slick(think teflon on ice)

Also, what can I use for decking? It's dang heavy right now because someone decked it with 3/4" plywood. I want to use aluminum or something ultralight for the decking. Cost really isn't much of a factor for the decking, because I want to do it once and be done and keep it lightweight(I don't want to spend a small fortune though, so no million dollar solutions)

Where can I find marine grade carpet, besides ebay?

Which seats would you recommend for all day comfort?

What size trolling motor would you use for a 16/48?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start working on it.

I also need some advice on how to make this steering setup better. Right now, I can't even tilt the motor up into 'lock' position ](*,)

for paint look for thread titled everything steelflex

lowes has marine carpet

tempress is the best seat

if you dont do to big a span you might could deck with 1/8 alu

I'd say your boat probably isn't heavy because of the plywood, it's probably heavy because your floatation foam is waterlogged. You'll find out if this is the case when you remove your decking.

I'm guessing you want a slick paint so your boat will go faster? If your foam is waterlogged, thats about 300 extra lbs. you're hauling around and slowing your boat down.

Your steering system is obviously homemade and your steering ram should tilt up with the motor... which it doesn't.

jigngrub said:
I'd say your boat probably isn't heavy because of the plywood, it's probably heavy because your floatation foam is waterlogged. You'll find out if this is the case when you remove your decking.

I'm guessing you want a slick paint so your boat will go faster? If your foam is waterlogged, thats about 300 extra lbs. you're hauling around and slowing your boat down.

Your steering system is obviously homemade and your steering ram should tilt up with the motor... which it doesn't.

Not exactly home-made. I had to make an older, cable style setup, work with a modern cable. Everyone said to use a teleflex clamp. Which I tracked down and mounted the way I was told to.

Unfortunately, the way the transom bracing is setup, it makes it suck. I'm trying to figure out how to make it a better setup that will allow the motor to tilt.

possom813/ said:
I'm trying to figure out how to make it a better setup that will allow the motor to tilt.

To do that, everything needs to mount to the motor and not the splashwell or transom braces. The arm that attaches to the steering ram and motor will need to be shortened.

Your steering link is on backwards, also your steering cable needs to be mounted almost directly underneith the steering link. not out in front like you have it now. the steering link should be perfectly level when the enging is down in the running possision, once you get this set up that way the motor will tilt all the way up and the link arm will tilt and move just like it should

roadkill636 said:
Your steering link is on backwards, also your steering cable needs to be mounted almost directly underneith the steering link. not out in front like you have it now. the steering link should be perfectly level when the enging is down in the running possision, once you get this set up that way the motor will tilt all the way up and the link arm will tilt and move just like it should

So, you're saying, bring up the cable to level with the link mount on front of the motor?

first your steering cable needs to be moves back closser to the pivet pin of the motor. it needs to be BEHIND the steering link arm that is part of the motor sticking out the front center of the motor, and your steering link arm is on incorrectly, the short 2" part of the link arm gets bolted to the steering cable and the long end with the flattened end with the hole in it gets mounted to the BOTOM side of the motor with a sholder bolt,, DO NOT USE A BOLT FROM THE HARDWARE STORE!!!! it absolutly needs to be the sholdered bolt that can be tightened down tight against itself and still leave the steering link free to move,

Latest posts