good deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcapitanmas

Reaction score
Going to look at an alumacraft 1448 tomorrow, package includes hull ( no dents or dings) almost new trailer, and foot controlled trolling motor.

hull is probably 5 years old, used on a private puddle once a year

$1000

good way to put it, thanks. I'll be powering it with something 2x the price of the boat so...........was just curious what others have paid for their boats and trailers. I'm told the trailer was used to take the boat from the dealer to the house, and launch/pull the boat out 2x a year. Seller suggested bigger trailer tires if I am going to be traveling more than a hour or two, makes sense. Will be sure to put a project post together as soon as I pick it up.

Go to NADA and see if you can get a value on the hull alone. Then figure around $400 for a new trailer That's what they go for. Then find the trolling motor online and see what a new one goes for. If you can't find it online, there's a good chance that it's obsolete and parts for it will be scarce and that's assuming it works when you get it. Also realize that you'll have no warranty on the TM, so if there's a $50-75 difference between this one and new, it may not be such a good deal.

Not knowing what area you live in, prices on boats, trailers, etc. could differ from where I live. For $1K you can usually drive away with boat, running ob, tm and trailer in my area. Doesn't help matters that Spring is knocking at the door and folks seem to elevate their prices due to increased demand for boats and such. Bob's right on the trailer and all....I'd gladly trade a new trailer in a deal for a used one in a package that includes an OB. I'd pass and keep looking.

My hangup with buying an outboard boat trailer combo is that most have old motors. I want this to be the last motor I buy, and If I upgrade the hull, I can put the motor on whatever hull I get. Looking at NADA it lists the hull at 880 for the LOWEST price. Figure at least 7 for a somewhat new trailer, TM is foot controlled, less than 5 years old. Looking at 4 stroke motors now. This boat is going to be used to get from boat launch to fishing/camping spot.

Ahhhh...you didn't tell us you were loaded. That changes things. ;)

If you have lots of cash to get a new motor comfortably then it sounds like a good deal!

Jdholmes said:
Ahhhh...you didn't tell us you were loaded. That changes things. ;)

If you have lots of cash to get a new motor comfortably then it sounds like a good deal!

That's right. It's true many come with "older" OB's on them, but if it runs, especially if it's an OMC motor, all you usually need is a tune up, impeller, and maybe some carb work and the motor will give you years of service and save you a couple of thousand bucks. But a nice, bright, shiny, new four stroke 20hp on the back would look nice!!!

I did not get the boat today, it was a little rough, and the trailer and hull were not in the condition I was told they were. One of the main reasons I didn't pick it up was I found a complete setup somewhat close to me.........Gonna offer 2000 (asking price of 2495) they can keep the fish finder and seats 8) hull is listed as a 1992 starcraft modified v 14ft jon boat, 1999 25hp johnson. Being sold at a boatyard.

423668_3477067931705_1421444453_3238780_463207763_n.jpg

425566_3477206175161_1421444453_3238805_216043799_n.jpg

well I made an offer on the starcraft, everything was in really good shape for how old it is. Told him I didn't need the trolling motor or seats, so I offered $2100 for everything. The mechanic runs through everything before the sale actually takes place so it'll be nice to know that the motor is in tip top shape. whoever did the floors did a pretty decent job and I will most likely be able to keep using them assuming the wood is still good. Waiting to hear back on my offer, striper season is fast approaching!

I am going to bet he will take that offer...most people are willing to come down a little to begin with, and you are giving him some stuff back...

Looks like a good little boat. Should work fine.

Where are you located? Might want to add that to your profile too. :wink:

came back at 2250, I said 2200. Located in Ct gonna have to add some stuff to my profile so it isn't so bland looking lol

well I got the boat for $2200 which includes a full run through on everything by the boat yard. Project post soon to come!

Not bad...at that price I would have wanted to keep the seats or trolling motor in the package - but you came away well with a great looking boat! Enjoy it!

Im kind of hoping the guy doesn't want to go through the hassle of removing everything and just leaves it all on there.