Anchor rope

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7806

Reaction score
What size anchor rope should I be using for my 16' jon and what should be load strength be?

I will be fishing mainly in the some of the smaller rivers in the area. I will be staying away from the Missouri and Mississippi, how much anchor rope should I have?

What would be the best type of anchor to use? Can't decide between the river anchor or a slip ring anchor. Guess there are advantages and disadvantages for both. Here's my thought on it, start with the river anchor, thinking maybe #15 or #20. Then if that doesn't do the job get a slip ring with some chain and use the river anchor for the stern when I would want to anchor it.

Has any one tried these? These look cool if they work as described. I'm thinking about using them for the anchor rope. Good or bad idea?

I had one of those grippers on my old boat, worked as advertised, never failed. OTOH, tying a knot to a cleat works too. I like to have at least 50' of anchor rope for each anchor and 2 anchors, both are #15, one is mushroom type. 1/4" rope is heavy enough but 3/8 is easier to pull on. In most cases, enough rope to reach the bottom is desirable... :lol:
Tim

Like was said...3/8" is easier on the hands and doesn't easily knot up when tangled like loose 1/4" would....however if you have an anchor mate, etc. , you won't have tangles nor using your hands, so 1/4" is strong enough.

I like 1/4" because I get the same length with less rope. It is more than strong enough to handle a Jon boat of any size. But Kevin is right. Pulling an anchor up on 1/4" by hand is tougher. I like to use a chain not (chain sinnet) to prevent tangles.

Latest posts