jon boat wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used non-pressure treated 2x4's and plywood and covered them myself with spar-urethane. I bought a spray can of water sealant to touch up any cracks that water might sneak into. My mod probably weighs 300+ pounds, so I'm with the guys that say go with aluminum if you can afford it!

HOUSE said:
I used non-pressure treated 2x4's and plywood and covered them myself with spar-urethane. I bought a spray can of water sealant to touch up any cracks that water might sneak into. My mod probably weighs 300+ pounds, so I'm with the guys that say go with aluminum if you can afford it!

Great points.

If you have the ability, resources, and tools to buy and work with aluminum, its the way to go. Otherwise, wood is just fine.

Also you can save a lot of that weight by not overbuilding and still using wood.

2x2's are plenty strong for boat deck framing and 1/2 inch ply is fine for the deck.

Aluminum is great but pricey.

Make sure you don't go with pressure treated and be sure to coat all wood including ends and cuts with a few coats of spar urethane.

shotgun707 said:
what is the best type of wood i should use to build a jon boat

Hey This boat was built on a episode of Ky Afield TV and then they took it out and used it. Looked simple enough maybe you can get an idea of what they used from the parts list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvyUkTTsLM&feature=related

Latest posts