Boat made of bamboo, duct tape and tarp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman529

Reaction score
I know this isn't quite a tin boat but I made this a few years ago. I am planning to make an even better one here sometime soon.

It is what it looks like... bamboo, duct tape and tarp. I floated in it a few times and still have it sitting under the house.

4472_1158452195730_1060508090_506824_7483488_n.jpg

4682_1160162278481_1060508090_513053_3810534_n.jpg

4682_1160162318482_1060508090_513054_7031018_n.jpg

4682_1160162358483_1060508090_513055_205748_n.jpg

It was tippy but manageable. The new one will have a wide, flat bottom and be very short... just long enough for 1 person comfortably, somewhere in the range of 6 to 8 feet. I will use much thicker bamboo but the goal is to make duct tape hold it all together. I plan to make a square stern with the hopes of it being strong enough to put on a 34 lb trolling motor. It won't be a reliable boat, just more of a fun weekend project that I can take out in the water once in a while. I'll have it wrapped in 3 or 4 layers of 10.1 mil tarp which is an upgrade from the previous one. The pros of this type of boat are that it is super lightweight, costs next to nothing, is entirely custom, and leaks can be repaired with duct tape or a new tarp. The cons would be obvious... it's held together with duct tape and probably won't last a long time, nor will it be very durable in the long run. If I take care of it though it could last me a good while. Like I said, it will be more of a fun project though. My main boat is a 1432 aluminum flat bottom.

If I get to work on a new an improved version soon, should I post it in this forum or in the watering hole? Since it's not aluminum I'm not sure the best place to post it.

Thanks all.. think it took only one roll of duct tape, but I will buy at least 2 for the next project just in case

Now this is just me thinking out loud but I think you will have a real issue trying to make the 'transom' on a duct tape boat stiff enough for the motor without putting a strain on the boat itself...don't forget to account for a 70 lb battery too. :)

Have fun. :)

Jdholmes said:
Now this is just me thinking out loud but I think you will have a real issue trying to make the 'transom' on a duct tape boat stiff enough for the motor without putting a strain on the boat itself...don't forget to account for a 70 lb battery too. :)

Have fun. :)
You are right, I have considered the weight of the battery and motor and the thrust. I will put some type of floor in the bottom to hold and distribute the weight of myself and possibly a battery. Making the transom stiff will be the challenge but I can get bamboo up to 2" in diameter so I will have to tape it in such a way that is strong as possible.

JamesM56alum said:
That would suck so bad to get a hook snagged in that.

Probably suck even more when that big ol' battery sittin between your legs shorts out in the pool of water you are sitting in. ;)

Very cool project.

Do you have too much time on your hands??? If you're this bored, I can use some help with some of my projects. Come on by....We'll make a weekend out of it. :LOL2: :LOL2:

I cant remember where I seen it but some years ago there was a guy building boats like that out of aluminum tubing and canvas. They came apart and stored in a bag about the size of a medium size tent. They were for hikers and mountain bikers. They even had a trailer you could pull behind your bike like you got. I seen somewhere where they have contests who can build a boat out of cardboard and duct tape and see who stays afloat for the longest and the most distance. Crazy I tell ya crazy! With that small of a boat, you might look around on CL and see if you can find a smaller trolling motor. My dad has a like 12 lb thrust trolling motor. I seen one on CL for like 10 bucks. Might get by with using a car battery instead of a deep cycle battery that would lighten the load some.

Steve

Another idea to try might be to go 100% duct tape. That would be pretty **** tough stuff. Have to build it up pretty thick to mount a 25hp I imagine.

Cool! I love any kind of funky, DIY boat-oriented project. I've seen similar designs using PVC frames and tarps/duct tape. Shoot, I'm half way there myself. I use a good 'ol Blue tarp for my boat cover and have made several bamboo accessories for my boat including a push pole and kicker/luggage rack, and my rod holders, bilge pump and tiller extension are all made from thin-walled 1 1/4" PVC and a couple pipe clamps and they work great!

Attachments

• 0122121630-01.jpg
    0122121630-01.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 0122121631-00.jpg
    0122121631-00.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 1,064
  • kicker rack 1.jpg
    kicker rack 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • rod holder and tiller extension.jpg
    rod holder and tiller extension.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,064
Bamboo is the stuff! I love it... diy'ers best friend. I've seen duct tape boats on youtube but it looks like a lot of duct tape and a lot of work, when 3 or 4 layers of heavy duty tarp could be just as tough and more easily replaced.

This reminds me of the Mythbusters episode of the duct tape boat...lol They made an entire boat out for duct tape over a thin metal frame. It was pretty cool. :) Awesome idea! Looking forward to your updates!

Latest posts