Swivl-eze Pin Type Pedistals or others with flush bases?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
I am looking ahead to what seat pedistals to use. The ones I have used in the past have always been fixed and not flush bases. I need a flat base (four of them) that will all be mounted at casting deck level. The posts (around 16") need to be removable, such that the seat can be mounted low. On one, the post will be routinely removed and inserted during a day of fishing. It can't be jamming or breaking from this kind of use. I have been looking at the Swivl-eze 3/4" pin type hardware. They seem to fill the needs. How do they hold up? I seem to remember welds cracking or bases breaking, but did not find info on search. The taper lock type, looks like plastic piece on the bottom of the post would be an issue over time. I'd like to hear of experience with these, or other ones that would fit my requirements.

PS: One of the fishermen in the boat goes 270lbs, so strength is required. ;)

I have the 3/4" base, post, and seat base combo. I myself weigh 220lbs and have not had any issues. I take the extended post out when I am using the gas motor, and then put it in so I can sit higher while fishing and trolling. No flex, bend, or worry that I would break the thing. However, my dad is a bigger guy... 6'5" 300lbs+ I bought the 2 and 3/8" thick seat post for him not sure if the 3/4" would be enough. Not to be a smart a** to him just wanted him to feel safe and comfortable while fishing and no issues there as well with the larger one. I would maybe pick up the thicker one for the big guy just to be safe. It might be a couple of extra bucks but I would rather be safe than sorry. Over all though, I am happy with the purchases. I personally think they are much better than the fixed versions I had on there when I bought the boat.

Trying to weed my way through all the different versions. Thursday, I might have the opportunity to stop by a Bass Pro and a Cabelas, and handle some of the h/w. I will check whats on the boats they have, as well. Touchy feely, can be better than weeding through mixed reviews.

I've been using those 3/4" Swivel-Ease set-ups for years. They are GREAT! Relatively inexpensive, easy to mount, and work perfect. I'm also a HUGE fan of the molded plastic chairs with flip down back. They are cheap and comfy! See pics.

Some of the bases have a nut welded on and the post can screw into it. Those make it very stable, but make sure to oil or grease them regularly or the nut will rust.

Now, a guy pushing 300 lbs leaning back in a chair on one of those posts is gonna create a lot of pressure ... I think it would hold up, but I'm not sure.

IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

FuzzyGrub said:
I am looking ahead to what seat pedestals to use. The ones I have used in the past have always been fixed and not flush bases. I need a flat base (four of them) that will all be mounted at casting deck level. The posts (around 16") need to be removable, such that the seat can be mounted low. On one, the post will be routinely removed and inserted during a day of fishing. It can't be jamming or breaking from this kind of use. I have been looking at the Swivl-eze 3/4" pin type hardware. They seem to fill the needs. How do they hold up? I seem to remember welds cracking or bases breaking, but did not find info on search. The taper lock type, looks like plastic piece on the bottom of the post would be an issue over time. I'd like to hear of experience with these, or other ones that would fit my requirements.

PS: One of the fishermen in the boat goes 270lbs, so strength is required. ;)

FuzzyGrub, How timely can you be? Hope we don't drift too far away from your original post. I'm putting some new seat/pedestals on my boat. Went to the closest Bass Pro the other day and got so confused I returned home to do some research. While were on the subject can someone explain the taper-lock vs the 3/4 pin vs spring lock vs Wedge? or their variations. Are any interchangeable with each other? Typically speaking since we are in a tinboat forum when mounting bases do you need a backing on this or just mount thru the boats sheet aluminum?

Whistler... the many different style bases and posts serve the different needs of the boaters. The 3/4" pin style we have are meant to mount to either the bench seat or deck. They are not meant to drive in the boat faster than say 5 mph with the extension post in ( There is a warning on the post that says not to. ) I am thinking its because you will spin or move since there is nothing to lock the seat in place as well as put a lot of extra force on the base while under way. I couldn't imagine driving down the lake on a larger boat 30 - 40 mph with a 16" swivel extension post in. It would be one heck of a ride if the base doesn't break. I remove the extension post, place the seat right in the base mount, and it works great.
The locking type do just as the say. They are meant to replace the stock seats on any type of boat. The post locks to the base and the seat swivel locks so you don't spin while moving fast. When you are trolling you can unlock and swivel. The locking type tends to be much thicker (ex 2 and 3/8" like mine) so it can handle the force of moving at much faster speeds. Here are a few pictures from my build that may help explain.

The seats are low while moving faster than 5mph. The front and rear seats don't have the extension post in yet. The middle seat has a thicker post and base that locks to the floor and at the swivel under the seat. The seat also unlocks to remove the whole set up from the boat when not needed to allow for more room.
Side View Low 1.JPG

The seats with the extension posts in place for use while trolling and fishing. I can spin around for all different angles while casting and what not. Most tin boaters use this style becasue they are cheaper and allow for more options in your boat design.
Seat High.JPG

I reinforced the wood underneath with thick strips of aluminum from the old bench seats. I bolted through the aluminum framing as well to make sure they were extra strong. I was afraid the base would pull through the wood or worse yet...break the wood. There are a million other types of seats and bases out threre. I chose these types because they allowed me to remove them completely from the boat when not needed to save on space as well as they were a cheaper option for me.

atuck593 Thanks for the info......Maybe I missed this or it didn't sink in.Why are you using two different types in your boat? Another question the 3/4" pin type with the flush mount has got a pretty big surface mount area. Is that large enough to mount directly into an aluminum boat without any backing support? Right now I'm looking more for the operator and passenger seating than a fishing platform. Do any of you use the springs that you see on the bottom of the pin or is that something for looks and don't really do much?

Well, after a meal at Fogo de Chau, didn't make it to Bass Pro, and the Hamburg Cabela's, had only a handfull of pedistals in stock. They had 20% off, but would have had to get a mixed matched set. :(

Sounds like many are happy with the 3/4 pin swivl-eze, and seems to be the lower cost, as well.

whistler said:
atuck593 Thanks for the info......Maybe I missed this or it didn't sink in.Why are you using two different types in your boat? Another question the 3/4" pin type with the flush mount has got a pretty big surface mount area. Is that large enough to mount directly into an aluminum boat without any backing support? Right now I'm looking more for the operator and passenger seating than a fishing platform. Do any of you use the springs that you see on the bottom of the pin or is that something for looks and don't really do much?

Whistler... I used two different types because I wanted a thicker seat post in the middle for my dad (big guy), to handle the stress of moving faster than 5mph (the warning on the swivel ease post and I needed the post there so you wouldn't have to sit on the floor), and to be able to remove the whole middle seat when there are only two people fishing. When the whole seat and post are removed, there is nothing left but a small flat mounting plate in the floor that you won't trip over. The springs are also there for a purpose. They do absorb some of the shock when bouncing around the waves and wakes of other boats.

Fuzzy... You will be happy with the 3/4" pin swivel ease. Look online. I bought mine online through ebay. I found the base, seat post, and seat mount with spring for like $30. I was at Cabela's this past weekend in Hamburg too. It was packed my girlfriend was ready to kill me for dragging her in there lol. I wanted to look at a few fish finders and the Minn Kota Power Drive. (That I ordered on Monday online and just got in the mail today.) Saved about $80 buying online compared to Cabela's.

I notice the pin type do not have a friction adj and they seem to spin easily in mount. Do they spin while towing or at 25-30mph with no one in them?

Or more important, if the boat is at a slight angle, and I stand up for a moment, does the seat rotate such that will always have to check the seat before sitting back down?

They won't spin in circles while trailering or running down the lake, and they generally stay where you leave them if you stand up or move around.

Anybody have experience with the Springfield plug-in series, and specificly the hi-low ones? Turns out I already have a hi-low post, and have some compatable componets in another boat.

As far as supplier, I am trying to use up Cabelas gift cards, and since pedistals are 20% off, plus there is another $20 off for a $150 purchase, and can have shipped free to the CT store, its very close to most of the ebay and other discount outlets.

FuzzyGrub said:
Anybody have experience with the Springfield plug-in series, and specificly the hi-low ones? Turns out I already have a hi-low post, and have some compatable componets in another boat.

As far as supplier, I am trying to use up Cabelas gift cards, and since pedistals are 20% off, plus there is another $20 off for a $150 purchase, and can have shipped free to the CT store, its very close to most of the ebay and other discount outlets.

I found a high number od issues reported with the springfield hi/low plugin.

Looks like it will be Swivl-eze 3/4" pin:

2 - Seat bases
2 - 16" pin peds
3- SS bases (Hold off on last one, in case I need the offset base)

About $140, or $40 out of pocket, for me.

bcbouy said:
get the spring seat base,trust me

Please elaberate on what you found. None of my current pedistals have any spring in them, be it mechanical or air. Cabelas doesn't have that version available, and also thought it might be a bad thing for when in the low setting, where fingers could get pinched between bench top and bottom of seat.

I bought the combo set from Cabela's last year and it had the spring bases in the box. I got the ss base, 16" pedistal and seat base for like $45