best flooring options?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcapitanmas

Reaction score
Trying to put together plans to replace the flooring in my 14ft starcraft. The PO built some floors, but they have seen their share of wear and tear. I would like to lay down foam between the ribs and put the plywood on top, what is the best way to go about this? I did a search and found a million threads on boat flooring but not much about the foam. Has anyone sealed the foam? I know it can fall apart pretty easy.

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 456
Ok just remember that water will get in your boat and it has to drain somewhere. So if you seal off areas between the ribs water will not be able to drain toward the back drain plug. Also remember that foam will soak up water if it is resting on the bottom of the boat. I made sure when installing my floor that I did not restrict water being able to drain toward the rear.

Some guys buy pool noodles at the dollar store and lay them under the floor. The cylindrical shape leaves gaps for water to flow through, and its adds a decent amount of support for the floor.

What about something other than pool noodles? What else can you lay on your aluminum floor, then place plywood on for a deck? What's the best?

Latest posts