New here, a few questions about a boat on CL

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelLowBudget

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, been lurking around for a few days looking at everyone's amazing projects and craftsmanship. I currently have a 11'6" semi v buil in only god knows what year... It's got a good running 1978 9.8 Merc on it (I think the prop is spun but...)but it's just too small to fish in all day out In Tampa bay flats and back country... So I'm looking for about a 15-16 foot flat bottom that is a decent width, I'm no little guy and one of my fishing buddies is about 350 so I think that'll be a good size...

Question is, there is a boat on CL right now for $450 it's a 16 footer with a trailer... Here's the catch, it's got a few "stress cracks" in the bottom. How do I go about fixing them? Will it be safe after they are Fixed? Is it safe to weld them? Here's the link https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/2889003456.html

Thanks in advance for the help,
Vinny

0d61729d.jpg

Here is a pic of me in the boat, not a very good pic of the boat but you can kind of see how small it is...

At both ends of the cracks you need to drill a hole to stop the cracks from continuing then have them mig or tig welded.

With aluminum does the area around the weld harden and get brittle? I know that's usually the case with steel... I just don't know enough about aluminum... Makes me wish I would have planned ahead when buying a welder, I really wish I had the ability to weld aluminum now...

Welding the cracks will not compromise the surrounding metal. If its welded properly, it'll be good as new.

Two straight welds should cost you about $50 at a shop.

Looks like an overall nice boat, but I would highly recommend a test run before buying it. You'll want to see for yourself how much water is coming in, and if its really just in two spots that are fixable.

:WELCOME: Reellow. Hey that looks like a pretty good deal. Hard to tell by the pic, but you could do alot with that hull. Do a search and it will blow you away what people do on this site. I think when I finish mine I want to try to get a group together here and do some fishing. Keep us posted.....

Thanks for the advice guys, I went to look up the ad this weekend when I got off work and the ad was gone... I guess it was sold... I'm sure there will be another one though.

Latest posts