Panting roll on bed liner??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoCoMo

Reaction score
I have my aluminum floor in the boat and am wanting to use a roll on bed liner kit, but all the diy kits are black. Id like to paint it a light gray, but not sure the paint will stick. Anybody have any experience w/ painting over bed liners?

What paint did you use? Ive seen the krylosn fusion. Its supposed to be just for plastics, but the colors arent anything im looking for.

Yeah I have good faith in rustoleum high performance enamel...

I would stay away from the plastic stuff...don't trust it for endurance.

No - I did it because I wanted something with traction that looks nice.

The thicker rubberized stuff can help deaden sound, I don't believe the spray on stuff makes a difference that way..
Mine sounds about the same.

It sticks waaaay better than regular paint does, and who knows, the consistency of it may help to keep the areas around the rivets a little more sealed, but I don't think that most people are using it as a 'waterproofing' tool.

jigngrub said:
Why do people want to use this stuff on their boats? Do they think it's going to stop their boat from leaking?

I have a raised floor, so not trying to stop leaks. Just waanting a good looking , non slip floor. Ok w/ you?

BoCoMo said:
jigngrub said:
Why do people want to use this stuff on their boats? Do they think it's going to stop their boat from leaking?

I have a raised floor, so not trying to stop leaks. Just waanting a good looking , non slip floor. Ok w/ you?

It's your boat, wear it out.

I personally don't find it attractive and if you paint over it you defeat the nonslip qualities. For me there are better options... but that's just me.

jigngrub said:
It's your boat, wear it out.

I personally don't find it attractive and if you paint over it you defeat the nonslip qualities. For me there are better options... but that's just me.

I don't really have anything in this but discussion but was reading along and curious. What in your opinion are the better options?

Some of the factory rigged boats are now going this option as well. Tracker has something called grizzly grip or similar, and I forget what the other aluminum boat manufacturers are calling it. It's all the same rubberized stuff. Quiets the boat WAY down, simpler and easier and lasts longer than carpet.

Youd could also go with that nonslip paint Cabela's makes. They have quite a few different colors, and it holds up pretty well.

Hell, I had to take an angle grinder the the gunnels of my 1648 to get the stuff off :roll:

I have been known to paint pretty much most of my buddies duck boats ..... base and camo stencil.

This past summer, one of my friends wanted me to paint his, and he was going to lay down the Herculiner in the floor (but he wanted it painted to match the boat. Through phone conversations with Herculiner ...... they told him to Herculine the surface, then BEFORE IT DRIES to paint over top of it.

So that's what we did.

He preped ...... Herculined the bottom floor, back bench, and low-front casting deck ......... snatched the painters tape off .......... and put down a heavy coat of FME olive drab paint from a Wagner.

He fished it that summer, duck hunted it that fall and winter, and is currently saltwater fishing it this spring .... and he told me it was holding up nicely.

Just passing this along as FYI. Good luck, especially since you are trying to go from black to grey ...... whereas we were going from black to OD.

Well thanks for the info, but its to late now. Put it down yesterday. Covered very nicely and very easy to work w/. I followed the directions to a t and it looks great. We'll see how it holds up.
The guys at oriellys where i bought it said to spray adhesion spray before i paint and it would stick. One of them had personal experience from his truck bed and said all is good 3 years later.
Might leave it black for a while and see just how bad it will be.
I have pics on my phone. ill start up a mod thread and get everything start to finish.

Latest posts