Abbleby 12' Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDougA

Reaction score
I have a 12' jon boat with an inside deck width of 32". The transom tag is extremely faded. I am able to make out the words Appleby manufacturing but there is no apparent date any where. On the left side of the tag is what appears to be 2GE (or F?) 1 (?) and stamped on the right side are the numerals 000133. Based on what I remember from my car selling days the numbers are probably a date/model code and the stamped numerals are the production number i.e. the 133rd boat manufactured that year.

I know this is probably a stretch but can anyone provide me information as to what year this boat was manufactured?

I gave $50.00 for it back in 1986 and used it on a small lake that I lived on for years. When we moved I kept the boat but have not had it in the water in 11 years. Now the son-in- law and I plan to refurbish it and add decking, pedestal seats etc. I will be posting pics of the restoration as we move through the project.

I look forward to the input from fellow tin boat sailors!

Upon further inspection I believe the number may be 2GEL000133.

Thanks for any help!

D

Interesting bit of info I found about the Mfg. Can't help w/ the year though. Welcome to Tinboats.

Appleby Boats were made here in my home town of Lebanon MO back in the 50's. Before it was called Appleby it was called Richline. My grandfather built many of them. When Mr Appleby died in the early 70's, his daughter and son in law, Brent Lowe, changed the name to Lowe Boats. Lowe was sold in the 90's and then Lowe's children started G3-or Generation 3 boats. Appleby boats are great.

sixgun86 said:
Interesting bit of info I found about the Mfg. Can't help w/ the year though. Welcome to Tinboats.

Appleby Boats were made here in my home town of Lebanon MO back in the 50's. Before it was called Appleby it was called Richline. My grandfather built many of them. When Mr Appleby died in the early 70's, his daughter and son in law, Brent Lowe, changed the name to Lowe Boats. Lowe was sold in the 90's and then Lowe's children started G3-or Generation 3 boats. Appleby boats are great.

Thanks sixgun86, I have found similar information about the boat here online but have no clue what year it was built. No sign of a HIN # so obviously it predates 1972. I spoke with a lady at GA DNR and it seems they will be happy with an affidavit of ownership stating it is a pre 1972 boat and has been in my possession for the past 26 years. Still I am curious!

I recently acquired a 14' Appleby Jon Boat from my grandfather. Like yours, the digits were unreadable, so I looked at the original bill of sale and registration, which had the make and model listed. If your boat has been registered before, it will definitely be on there along with the make and model of any motors attached.

Have a great spring!

Latest posts