lengthning a trolling motor shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormans Boatright

Reaction score
I decided to start using my trolling motor on the boat, only problem was with the rails and the raised front casting deck the stock shaft was too short. So what I decided to do was lengthen the shaft. It really was not a big deal doing it and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a longer shaft. What I did was take a 3/4" aluminum threaded coupling and bore out one side to exactly 1-1/8", the od of the stock shaft is 1-1/8". I then removed the cover off the controller and labeled where each wire went. Then removed the entire tiller controller. The bored out coupling now slips over the shaft and secured with a stainless screw. I was going to use some silicone here, but the coupling fit real snug so I decided not to. I then bought some wire the same gauge as the stock wires and soldered them to the shorter stock wires. Once all the wires were soldered and heat shrink fitted I fed them through the piece of 3/4" aluminum pipe I screwed onto the threaded coupling, I believe I wound up using a 22" long piece. Once the pipe is tightened all you have to do is mark and drill another hole for the 1/4-20 stainless screw that holds the tiller handle on and install the tiller handle onto the aluminum pipe & reconnect the wires where you labeled earlier. Also I had to use some shim stock on the aluminum pipe where it fits into the tiller control as the od of the 3/4" is 1-1/16" and not 1-1/8" as the shorter shaft is. I think my shaft is around 63" long now. I also made a brace for the longer shaft and secured it to the top rail on my boat. I took another coupling and bored it out a little bigger than the 1-1/16" od of the aluminum pipe so it would swivel without binding up. Then I took a solid piece of aluminum stock and bent it to a L shape and cut a piece of 1" aluminum pipe in half to bolt onto the rail. Here's the pics of this trolling motor mod.

Link to my boat build:https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19816

Attachments

• shaft brace 3.jpg
    shaft brace 3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 379
  • shaft brace 2.jpg
    shaft brace 2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 379
  • braced shaft.jpg
    braced shaft.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 379
  • new longer shaft.jpg
    new longer shaft.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 379
  • long shaft.jpg
    long shaft.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 379
  • lengthned wires.jpg
    lengthned wires.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 379
  • soldered wires.jpg
    soldered wires.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 379
  • shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 379
  • boring coupling.jpg
    boring coupling.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 379
  • coupling.jpg
    coupling.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 379
  • labeled wires.jpg
    labeled wires.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 379
  • wires in shaft 2.jpg
    wires in shaft 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 379
  • inside cover.jpg
    inside cover.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 379
  • removing motor controls.jpg
    removing motor controls.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 379
  • rope water line.jpg
    rope water line.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 379
  • before lengthning.jpg
    before lengthning.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 379
Well that certainly will allow you to control it from the crow's nest now. :lol: A couple of things come to mind though. How do you deal with pulling the boat onto the trailer since you can't tilt the T/M up now? And is it an optical illusion or is the control head pointed straight and the motor pointed to the left about 45°?

It can slide up and lock in place, in the pic it is where it will ride once in the water. And yes the motor is rotated, I took this pic before I permanently installed the tiller control. Good eye.

From what I've seen in Your projects, You're an incredibly talented guy! Carry on and Good Luck in the future in whatever You aspire to do. =D>

Thanx for the compliment novaman, I really appreciate it. I am glad you like my work.

Is that your boat in the pic? Have you posted pics of it on the site? If not why don't you, looks like a nice rig.

So far I've not taken the time and I'm working on a 2nd , smaller Tin I can use by myself when it's done. When I get it done I'll post both boats , (once I find all of the pics) :oops: , and set them side x side. I'm in the process of retiring and trying to get as much time in on the walleye run over in OH.. Thanks for the compliment on the big jon. I promise there will be more to follow. :!:

Latest posts