Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooperj14

Reaction score
Hey tin boaters, I have a 17 foot fisher bass boat. It has a very thin aluminum false floor with the console mounted to that. When I am in small waves the console shakes all over the place. It shakes so badly I can't even read my depth finder! :shock: Any tips on how to fix this?

Thanks!, Jack

PSG-1 said:
You need some type of bracing that will tie the console into something structural, such as ribs under the thin flooring. I'd go with something like aluminum angle.

+1, but pictures of what you're talking about will certainly help us offer "the best" solution.

a piece of angle aluminum from rib to rib riveted down and to the console, my lowe commander had the same issue, there is an extra bracing riveted to the hull under the aluminum on mine and I added extra rivets to that area as well but not sturdy enough for me, "i beat the heck outta my boat"

I had the same problem when I installed my T-Top in my G3 because I was unable to screw the mounting screws for the top into the rib. I had a lot of bounce going across rough water.
I used 2" wide strips of 1/4" aluminum. The length is cut so that the end screws go into the ribs. Mine turned out to be 12" apart This secures the plate to the ribs. The other screws go through the plate into the floor and draws the floor up to the bottom of the aluminum strips. All of the screws are put in with 3M 5200.

Ttopbasefix.jpg

Yeah, I forgot to mention...apply some 5200 to the threads of the screws before you do the final install. Make them snug, then let the 5200 set, then tighten them down all the way.

PSG-1 said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention...apply some 5200 to the threads of the screws before you do the final install. Make them snug, then let the 5200 set, then tighten them down all the way.
Why would you let the 3M 5200 set before you tighten them down all the way? Just curious.

Gus Nelson said:
PSG-1 said:
Why would you let the 3M 5200 set before you tighten them down all the way? Just curious.

You don't. You put it on the screws and also the surfaces to be joined and then tighten everything down. 5200 takes a week or so to fully cure. The fast cure version takes a day or two. I put it not only on the screws, but also on the bottom of the T-Top pads where they contact the floor. You don't use it to create a gasket.

Latest posts