how should I fix this

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinny

Reaction score
ok I pulled the floors out of my boat. and I found this odd screw just stuck thru my hull.it is sillyconed on outside and just hanging in the open on inside. there is also a bend in that area . I had thought about smashing a rivet in there but think it might be a issue due to the bends
the shot of the screw end is me over the side of my boat looking inside

have a look at the photos

033-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

Is it above or below the waterline? I'd pull it out and get the hole welded shut.
Do you have a wider picture so we can see just where it is?

I don't have a welder that can do it but there are guys in my area
next concern is how would I know they are doing it right

like any special prep

skinny said:
I don't have a welder that can do it but there are guys in my area
next concern is how would I know they are doing it right

like any special prep

As far as prep, the screw needs to be removed, and the existing hole drilled out a tad bigger, to remove any oxidized or contaminated material. Then, the area of the weld needs to be thoroughly cleaned before welding, using a SS wire brush or a SS wire wheel on a grinder. Remove all paint and oxidation for at least 1/2" all the way around the weld area. Aluminum does not like contamination, it needs to be clean enough to eat from, especially if TIG welding.

Filler wire or rod needs to be ER5356, for corrosion resistance, even in freshwater. ER4043 will corrode in just a few years.

Anyone ever use this? Looks like it got good reviews.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Aluminum-Boat-Patch/699968.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DAluminum%2Bpatch%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Aluminum+patch

JamesM56alum said:
If you don't have access to a welder, i'd suggest a stainless steal nut an bolt and two flat washers and some 3m 5200 in between an tighten it as tight as you can, it wont leak..
Agreed, easiest, cheapest and most durable fix (next to welding).

TimRich said:
JamesM56alum said:
If you don't have access to a welder, i'd suggest a stainless steal nut an bolt and two flat washers and some 3m 5200 in between an tighten it as tight as you can, it wont leak..
Agreed, easiest, cheapest and most durable fix (next to welding).

+1

Jay415 said:
Anyone ever use this? Looks like it got good reviews.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Aluminum-Boat-Patch/699968.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DAluminum%2Bpatch%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Aluminum+patch
this stuff hardens like steel. if you use it,use it sparingly,it's a ***** to sand.