Prop or jetdrive, which is better and why ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general, a prop is better unless you are trying to run very shallow water. With the same powerhead, a prop is faster, more efficient, easier to adjust to different hulls, better boat control, trolling, etc.

If you need to run skinny water a jet is great. I'm use to driving them but I prefer driving a jet more then a prop.

Prop drives are more efficient at transfering power than jet drives. Inboard jet drive units with a straight-line flow are more efficient than outboard jets, where the water flow makes a 90 degree turn, but even so, inboard jets are still not as efficient as a prop drive.

Props also generate more thrust for given HP.

In choppy water, props run better than jets, without cavitation.

Of course, when it comes to shallow water, the jet drive excels, whether it's an inboard or an outboard. 4 inch draft on plane is typical for johnboats with jets. I've run across numerous areas that were just barely deep enough to cover to top of my feet. Try that with a prop drive, and you'll be taking a trip to the ER.

Also, when it comes to trolling, jets are WAY better than props, as jets use a reverse gate, which is infinitely adjustable, from full ahead, to neutral, to full astern. Unlike a prop drive, where you have to shift in and out of gear constantly, or use a trolling plate to regulate speed, with a jet, you simply drop the reverse gate as much as necessary to obtain the correct trolling speed.

Both prop drives and jet drives have their advantages, as well as limitations. If you tend to operate on big water that has some depth, a prop drive is the best bet. But, if you live in a tidal area, or other area where there is shallow water, the jet drive is the answer.

PSG-1 said:
Prop drives are more efficient at transfering power than jet drives. Inboard jet drive units with a straight-line flow are more efficient than outboard jets, where the water flow makes a 90 degree turn, but even so, inboard jets are still not as efficient as a prop drive.

Props also generate more thrust for given HP.

In choppy water, props run better than jets, without cavitation.

Of course, when it comes to shallow water, the jet drive excels, whether it's an inboard or an outboard. 4 inch draft on plane is typical for johnboats with jets. I've run across numerous areas that were just barely deep enough to cover to top of my feet. Try that with a prop drive, and you'll be taking a trip to the ER.

Also, when it comes to trolling, jets are WAY better than props, as jets use a reverse gate, which is infinitely adjustable, from full ahead, to neutral, to full astern. Unlike a prop drive, where you have to shift in and out of gear constantly, or use a trolling plate to regulate speed, with a jet, you simply drop the reverse gate as much as necessary to obtain the correct trolling speed.

Both prop drives and jet drives have their advantages, as well as limitations. If you tend to operate on big water that has some depth, a prop drive is the best bet. But, if you live in a tidal area, or other area where there is shallow water, the jet drive is the answer.

What he said ^^^^^^^

Deep water i like props, shallow water or new water i like jets.

Latest posts