3m 5200 Shelf LIfe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7806

Reaction score
Picked up a tube of 3M 5200 the other day so I could seal the screws for the transducer mounting plate. So today when I got ready to use it I read the directions to see if there was anything there I should know.

Well much to my surpise I find out that it is only good for 48 hours after you open it even with the cap on. I used about a 1/3 of a $13 tube I figued it was like other silcone sealers and would last several months if it was sealed up good.

Any tips on make it last longer like freezing it or something?

Thanks

My 5200 was tough to use after 24 hrs re-capped. Wish it lasted better cus it aint cheep

Wrap it up in a ziplock bag an put it in the freezer, IF you have a garage freezer it'd probably go over easier with the wife... i know it did with mine..

Also works with paint rollers when you're rolling on sparr or bedliner since it's almost impossible to wash the crap off of them, wrap them up toss them in the fridge pull them out an start painting like nothing changed

I don't know about the small tubes but I have a caulking gun sized tube that I was afraid would have dried up...I stuck an old bolt in the hole and left it like that for a couple months. I needed to use it last week and pulled the bolt out and it was good to go.

I think they are playing it safe with that 48 hr limit. If I hadn't plugged it I am sure it would not have lasted. It took nearly two weeks to harden on the boat so I don't see how it would dry in the tube in 48 hrs...

Thanks, I'll bag it and toss it in the freezer with the batteries, don't think the wife will mind. [-X

do you have a vacuum sealer? put the cap on and vacuum seal it in a bag. it's the air that causes it to cure, the temperature not so much.

acabtp said:
do you have a vacuum sealer? put the cap on and vacuum seal it in a bag. it's the air that causes it to cure, the temperature not so much.

That is a good idea but we don't have one of those gadgets.

My father inlaw has used 5200 for years and his trick is to keep it in the fridge between uses. Sounds like the freezer works too. I bought a tube a few weeks ago and have used it several times on the boat. Each time I am done I just cover the tip and throw it in the fridge and it's good to go everytime I take it out. Hope this helps! :)

I deal/see shelf life ratings all the time at work( public transportation), because of the nature of the work we are compelled to adhere to them

My guess is the 48 hr rating is the time at which the “gassing off” process begins. Anytime before 48hrs 5200 is at its optimal state, therefore anytime after 48 hr its content begins to diminish. Because of its varied applications 3M lists this to CYA,(cover their ***…) unless your sealing the rings on a space shuttle booster fuel tank I wouldn’t be to concern about it.

Because the gassing off process is accelerated by warmth, it is always a good idea to store it in a cool environment. Also keep in mind it will still continue to gas (slower thou) , so be sure of what your storing with your food products :oops:

Latest posts