ATTACHING TRANSDUCER TO BOAT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchromedog

Reaction score
I need to attach my transducer to the hull of my aluminum boat but I am just afraid of drilling into it. Is there a way to do it and make sure it does not leak? Or should I look at one of those temporary deals that clamp on the boat?

Take a look at this! Call and talk to Chris he is a good guy and will help you out!

I am going to buy one of these for my next boat.

https://www.sternmate.com/

Once you get past the first hole - it's all down hill from there. :)

I had a hard time putting holes in mine too, but I took my time and followed the directions. I didn't even seal mine before I had it on the water. I wanted to make sure the placement was correct and didn't have interference caused by the motor or the draft of the boat. I had maybe an ounce of water in the boat after 6 hours.

Use the correct drill bit and the factory screws should be tight enough for you to give it a test run. Once you have it in place seal it up and you should be good to go.

OK, I am just paranoid I guess. I bought a depth/fish finder that utilized a suction cup, which was alright, but I did have an instance it came off. Just trying to figure out how to do it without damaging the boat. thx.

I am in a similar situation. I just received a new fish finder and I have to figure out how I want to mount the transducer. I was thinking of getting the transom mounted trolling motor attachment for it. Does that have any negatives as opposed to putting it on the back of the boat?

You can thru-bolt a piece of Starboard (or a kitchen cutting board) to your transom with stainless bolts, sealed with 5200. That way when you need to adjust your transducer location, and you probably will after a trip or two, you only need to drill into the Starboard instead of into the transom again.

One tip I saw just today on another site is to mount one of your cable holding clamps very close to the transducer, so that IF the transducer should come off when you hit something in the water or whatever, the clamp will keep it from getting into the prop and being destroyed.

As far as a trolling motor mount, be very careful how much you tighten the clamp around the motor housing, you can crack the magnets and screw up the motor. Don't ask me how I know! :oops:

I have holes already drilled through the transom for a transducer from the previous owner. Im just gonna attach my new transducer with bolts, nuts, washers and o-rings.

My first attempt at a fish finder was on my fiberglass boat. I can't see the inside part of the transom due to fiberglass work and floors so mounted transducer and used gobs of 5200. This boat makes a cool rooster tail with the transducer which doesn't seem to affect the fish finder's use.

The second attempt was on my tin and it looks a lot cleaner as I had more confidence in the 5200. No rooster tail this time.

I made a wooden board that clamps onto the transom. Sealed it good with Etex, which I use for sealing up lures. Reely glad I went that method as I beached the boat last summer and was able to remove the board as not to damage the 'ducer. I notched the end of the board to sit atop the drain hole port and it keeps it in position.

Latest posts