basic live well question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioStateBuckeye

Reaction score
Basic live well question....

Do I just put a hole directly under the boat, underthe live well for a basic gravity fill method?

Also, if I have a 3/4 inch gravity fill, will a 1 inch overflow be wide enough? In theory you would think bigger Hole= bigger water flow. But I was unsure is the pressure from outside the boat would fill it faster than it would exit.

OhioStateBuckeye said:
Do I just put a hole directly under the boat, underthe live well for a basic gravity fill method?

Yes. But as roadkill mentioned, the water level in the livewell will only be equal to it's relative position to the waterline, it wouldn't matter where you put the inlet. Now if your boat drafts 8" - 1' and your livewell is at the bottom of the boat I think that would be fine. However, if your boat drafts 6" or < and the livewell sits off the deck 3", you may need to think about adding a pump and placing an overflow tube in the gravity hole. Hope all that makes sense. #-o

Kind of. The livewell is in the center seat. What type of pump do you recommend? I'll have a bilge pump with a pvc valve that will act as aerator and a drainer if needed. I appreciate everyones help!

Have had this live well for years. The boat loaded drafts about 12" has always been plenty. Also added a simple batteris aerator for the trip home.

Attachments

• S5008519.JPG
    S5008519.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 474
  • S5008520.JPG
    S5008520.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 474
I had a livewell in the center seet on a 20' flat btm boat with the drain hole straight thru the btm... thats all that hole is good for, when in the water it will only fill up 2" -3" at the most you will definently have to have a pump at the rear of the boat sucking in water to fill up the livewell,