How are you guys sanding your boats for paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylebacc

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are y'all sanding these boats by hand? Sandblaster? Electric sander? I have a 18' PolarKraft that I would like to make look half as awesome as some of yours, but it's difficult see myself hand sanding the entire thing inside and out! Thoughts? Thanks!

Kyle

I used Easy-Off oven cleaner and a pressure washer. It worked like a champ! It needs to be in direct sunlight to heat the aluminum or it doesn't work that well. The hotter the metal, the easier the old paint will bubble-up and peel off.

I called around a couple sand blasting op's in my area and found someone to blast the entire boat for $60 in beer same day, @ night. :shock:

Holding paint very nicely.

Attachments

• strip1.JPG
    strip1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 5,087
  • strip3.jpg
    strip3.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 5,087
Describe your situation more...

Are you talking about removing paint or just scuffing bare aluminum/paint that is still holding well?

That could change your answer.

For removing oxidization from bare aluminum or paint that just needs a light going over it isn't too hard to do by hand.

If you are talking heavy paint removal I think you will find most guys are using a wire wheel while some are using stripper and still others are soda blasting.

it's actually discussed fairly often, do some reading around the forum and check out some of the projects and you will find it is discussed with fair regularity.

Hi everyone. First post here!

I've rebuilt a few aluminum boats, and the best method I have found (within my budget) is the 3M Roloc bristle discs, and nonwoven abrasives.

i stripped mine all the way down to the metal using some aircraft remover and a wire wheel on an electric drill.. patience is a virtue when u have to do a whole boat that way tho, but it worked very well and gave me a nice smooth finish.

zipstrip is amazing! i tried the wire wheel, palm sander, orbital sander but nothing was as easy as the zipstrip. some will say it is expensive but on a 17 1/2 boat I may have used 3 can at 30 buck and went through that much sand paper on a quarter of the boat. Time saving, this is the way to go, prolly 12 hours sandin that quarter, maybe 3 hour with the stripper

I also used zipstrip, I started with aircraft remover, It did not work as good as the zipstrip. My boat had a zinc cromate primer that was very hard to get off....the zipstrip took it right off followed by a good pressure wash. I used a wire wheel to get the stuff off that I missed. I then used 100grit sand paper to rough it up for the primer. JFYI I did not strip the inside and just used self-etching primer right over the old paint....I think I probably could of got away with this on the outside, but I will not know until I paint the outside. I would suggest a test area and see if you like the finish.

just my 2cents though
kevin

I tried the oven cleaner method with green scotch brite pads and the paint did not budge. Then I tried oven cleaner with a wire brush and it really marred the surfaced once I finally got it off in a very small spot with lots of work. I am going to pick up some zipstrip and try this weekend since it is going to rain here.

Most folks seem to have varied results using Easy-Off, but I don't know why. I'm not sure what I did different but my old, original paint bubbled-up and peeled right off with a pressure washer. Maybe it was because temps. were near 90 that day and I did it in direct sunlight. Afterwards, I scruffed it with an angle grinder and 60 grit wheel and then cleaned with AlumaPrep before applying SteelFlex.

DuringEasy-Off.jpg

AfterEasy-Off.jpg

Mojo^ said:
Most folks seem to have varied results using Easy-Off, but I don't know why. I'm not sure what I did different but my old, original paint bubbled-up and peeled right off with a pressure washer. Maybe it was because temps. were near 90 that day and I did it in direct sunlight. Afterwards, I scruffed it with an angle grinder and 60 grit wheel and then cleaned with AlumaPrep before applying SteelFlex.

DuringEasy-Off.jpg

AfterEasy-Off.jpg

I would bet the temps and direct sunlight had a lot to do with it. The surface of your boat was probably smokin hot...I imagine it would work about the same over here on a 115 degree day. ;)...mind you i will not be out in that heat trying it out.

So you guys are saying that you can actually strip paint off a boat using only Easy-Off and a pressure washer? :?:

Kibby said:
So you guys are saying that you can actually strip paint off a boat using only Easy-Off and a pressure washer? :?:

Well, that's how I did mine. I also use Easy-Off to strip gun stocks before refinishing.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! I will definitely try it, because I just bought a 10' Grumman v-hull in need of some attention. :D

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll have to try a few of these methods and see what works best. I'll let you know what works for me once I start a build thread!

CrewCab59 said:
The yellow can works better than the blue can easy-off, I use it all the time but don't breathe it in.

Yes, the fume free (blue can) or lemon scented stuff does not seem to work at all. Make sure it has "Heavy Duty" on the can. Lowe's has it. Also, the Dollar General brand works almost as good as name brand.

The more I think about it, heat is probably the key so working in direct sunlight will probably give the best results.

Latest posts