Help me thankz

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockhart52

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to get my 1st boat; however not sure what to get. I like to fish standing up and would like to be able to take a friend with me from time to time.
what size should i get 12ft-14ft?
flat boat or v boat?
how wide?
keep in my i am a college student with not a large budget. Also I never modded a boat so any tips will help. thank you!!

here are some links to a few i am looking at.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/2894847787.html
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/2874427408.html
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/2873821193.html

Hi lockhart52. Congrats on your decision to get a boat. I think you'll find that a 12' boat gets pretty small pretty quick, but a 14' is a nice medium size and you should be able to carry 2-3 adults and gear comfortably. As for hull design, that mostly depends on the conditions you primarily boat in. Semi-V and/or V-hull vessels have better handling in chopper, or rough water, but usually require slightly deeper water to operate in effectively, whereas flat bottom hulls are very stable in calm water, but tend to slap up and down on the surface while underway. I have a semi-v hull that is a nice compromise between the two. It is angled at the bow to help cut through chop, but eventually flattens out towards the stern. I think you'll find a width of about 5' is what you'd like to have to. Jon boats are very often listed using a series of 4 numbers which indicate its length and width. For example, a 1452 jon boat is 14 feet long and 52 inches wide and a 1336 would be 13 feet by 36 inches.
Once you've picked a hull, the rest is only limited by your imagination and budget. There are only a few rules when it comes to these old tinnys. 1) NEVER use PRESSURE TREATED lumber as it can cause electrolytic pitting. Instead use jigh quality, exterior grade plywood from Lowes/HD. Auraco brand is good and readily available. Once you have the wood you'll need to seal it. You can either use wax-free polyester resin and fiberglass mat, or 2-part epoxy. Most folks tend to got the epoxy route, but it is a bit more expensive. If you can't/don't want to use either of these methods you can use Spar urethane and/or Porch Paint. These won't waterproof the wood, but should give you several years of good use. 2) Use aluminum replacement rivets and/or stainless steel hardware throughout. That's really about it. The rest is up to you. Keep us posted. We love pics. Good luck. Happy hunting.

btw.....Ilike the first 2 choices. The first one looks like a complete package, but the second one is a blank slate that you can make your own. I'd probably go with the empty hull and make it my own, but I like to tinker and fiddle with these old boats.

I just bought my 1st boat about a month ago, I started looking at 1448 jon boats as I would be mainly fishing small to medium rivers or small lakes. After talking to several people and also post here and on another forum the general conscenis was at least a 1648 (16' long 48" across the bottom). I ended up getting a nice 1651 Polar Kraft jon, it has a front casting deck, FF, trolling motor and some other extras for under $2500. Haven't fished it much as it's just not getting warm enough here for the fish to get active.

If you want to stand up and cast off a deck I would suggest getting a wide boat. Now between a V and a flat I can't say which is better, I guess it might matter on where you intended to use it. Lakes, small rivers, big rivers, ponds, so if you can give a little more information then it will help those to give you some suggestions.

Thank you both posted helped alot. I plan on using it on small to medium lakes. I have few small lakes around me that are electric only( spend alot of time in). From time to time one larger lake.

I would like a 16ft but don't think it's in budget. have to keep some cash to mod lol

I would still try to get the 16 footer (800.00) is not a bad price for that boat. JMO but once you buy a boat you always end up wanting the one you didn't get, something bigger, wider, etc.

Anyways good luck with you project oh and P.S. this modding thing can be addictive.

Nice picture of the Merc that doesn't come with the boat... :)

I think the 12' with the trolling motor is a good start for you depending on your size and your fishing buddy. I think the guys on here are partial to aluminum anyways! The glass boat doesn't come with any motor, so you can hit the water... but you're going to be out at least another $100 for a used battery/trolling motor.

For $450 for the boat/trailer/trolling motor/battery/oars/seats/2 decent anchors isn't a bad deal. Sounds like you will need beer and life preservers.

12' will be cramped with 2, but it will get you on the water. If you want something larger than that - I'd keep looking and watching craigslist.

The 2nd boat is a nice clean slate as stated, but it would likely be a while before you have it on the water. The season is just around the corner!

Be sure any boat, trailer your looking at has a title and in some states the motor too.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Be sure any boat, trailer your looking at has a title and in some states the motor too.

Good point!

The guy I got my boat from actually gave me the old registration card as well as a bill of sale. Some smaller boats won't come with a title. If it looks shady - bail out.

Bought my first bought last season. It was 12ft V hull, sold it and bought a 1442 flat bottom with a front casting deck. A world of difference between the stability of the two. Like everyone has said and will continue to say, buy the widest boat you can afford.

Thank you all of your input will help me out. I want to try an get it right the 1st time. this is one that I am going to see tonight

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/2896502169.html

I like the smokercraft, and you can find some good mods on here as well.

Have him crank the motor of course when you check it out (in a bucket or hooked to a hose), and check your state on the requirements of sale (if you need a title or just a BoS).

A chrysler motor even in perfect running condition is not worth much. When it breaks down you will have a hard time getting parts and will most likely have to replace it. So base your offer on just the boat and trailer.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
A chrysler motor even in perfect running condition is not worth much. When it breaks down you will have a hard time getting parts and will most likely have to replace it. So base your offer on just the boat and trailer.

Beat me to it I was going to say if that chrysler breaks down its going to cost you a arm leg and afew toes off your other foot to get it fixed...

I may be completely wrong on this. If the wheel and tire in the boat is a spare for the trailer it looks to have an unusual bolt pattern. Finding replacement hubs or a new wheel if needed might be difficult.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I may be completely wrong on this. If the wheel and tire in the boat is a spare for the trailer it looks to have an unusual bolt pattern. Finding replacement hubs or a new wheel if needed might be difficult.

I think it's just a 5 bolt pattern where 4 is likely more common. You can still pick it up at most farm supply stores

Here's a link to one:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330157_200330157

Don't spend too much time on that site though... you'll go broke.

Latest posts