super cheap D.I.Y. fish culling system

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200racing

Reaction score
what i used to make a fish culling system

plastic bobber.
some 65lb braid.
troline hooks.
18'' of stiff single strand wire.
1ft peices of 1/4'' drip line.
small dry erase board and marker.

i hate buying simple stuff i know i can make. played with it in my head and had this stuff laying around. trotline hook are handy as they have huge eye made for big string. i dint know what recomend for hose, just used so the braid wouldnt cut my hand while holding a thrashing fish and damage the slime layer as bad.

all you need to make 1 part
fishing024.jpg

start with a good ol' palomar knot.
fishing028.jpg

you kinda see it in the photo. the hooks had the bards ground of and point dulled till they are safe.

now put 1'' of wire through the hook eye and twist it tight.
fishing029.jpg

thread the line throught the tube and attach the bobber like normal.
fishing030.jpg

with the line secure in both bobber hooks bring it back down and wrap it several time between the cork and hose
fishing031.jpg

secure it with a couple of overhand knots
fishing032.jpg

finish product
fishing026.jpg

i used the end of a flashlight to show how the hook and wire work.
fishing033.jpg

the hook goes around the jaw bone and is then held by the wire.

im going to write 1-6 and line with sharpie on the dry erase board. the put the fishes weight with a erasable marker. it will be secure by velcro to the side of my console next to the livewell hatch.

Jdholmes said:
I don't know what that does...is that for bait fish?

tournaments.
allows you to know evey fishies weight at a glance so you know what fish to throw back without guessing or rehandling all you fish. to weigh again or put on a balance beam.
it also helps you treat the fish better and keep them healthy by stressing them less. you only need to touch him once land it,weigh it, put this on, put him in the livewell. from then on you just grab the tether to take him out and let him go or put him in the weigh in bag.
any one who has ever tried catching a energetic fish in alive knows it hard and pough on the fish if all you have is your hand.

what i copied https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Deluxe-Tourney-Culling-System/product/30217/59802

I did something similiar. I used a few deep diving crankbaits, line trimming string, and badge clips. I need to find my pictures of them when I get home tonight but basically the same priciple. The deep divers float very well and I picked ones that were "brightly colored". I haven't tried them out yet to see if the badge clips will stay clamped but if it doesn't rain tomorrow, I will give it a try.

SevenPin

Latest posts