Tracker Topper 1542 on the Mississippi

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where on the MS River are you speaking of? I think you'd be alright way up north, but you get anywhere near the lower miss and you are asking for trouble IMO.

no.............. if you were on the river by yourself it may work but you are not by yourself. I went out on one, once and that was enough. A friend of mine wanted to go and I went. It was pretty scary. The wind can come up and the wakes from the other boats can swamp you. I live in Northern Illinois and it just ain't worth it. That Mississippi is one powerful river even at normal pool. IMO

No...To small. Not necessarily the length but the side height is to low on that boat. To cross you would have to be positive that no barges were coming and and run straight across, not run up or down very far. Be smart...buy an all weld with high sides and a wide bottom. I have an old 14' Duracraft that was used to cross to get to a hunting lease. 5 years used, 3 cracked ribs, cracked transom...not worth the worry.

Really??
Im building a 1648 lowe line right now and was planning on bowfishing the missouri river and its feeder streams. Do you think ill have any problem? This is my first boat other than pond boats.

I've been on the Mississippi a few times in a 1642 many years ago. It wasn't that bad as long as you didn't get too far from the sides and watched out for the wakes generated by the barges and larger boats. Of course I was younger then and had just given up my job in the Navy as a rescue swimmer. But I wore my life jacket at all times even though I was a pretty strong swimmer back then. I ran across a site a couple of years ago with the story and pictures of a guy that traveled from near the origin of the Mississippi all the way to the Gulf in a canoe.

Latest posts