Installing a drain plug?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM56alum

Reaction score
Farmington, minnesota "Orginally Pensacola, F
K so i picked up a 1 inch hole saw and was curious as to what you guys thought, should i mount the drain plug in the floor an get a fender to go over it to keep it from getting bumped on anything under water, or should i go with the normal through transom method ?

It's the standard style pipe thread like this one.

SternPlugandBase_LG.jpg

I would recommend transom. If you need to self-bail by getting up on plane you would not be able to do this if you put that plug through your bottom. This is why most boat mfg put the plug on the lowest point on the transom. Just my two cents.

bigwave said:
If you need to self-bail by getting up on plane you would not be able to do this if you put that plug through your bottom.

I'm not sure that is correct. If you put the "fender" you mention and the plug is on the bottom, I'm pretty sure it'd drain while on plane. But, I'd still mount it on the transom to keep it from getting dinged/hung up on woody debris near the shoreline, especially if you get hung up on stuff as often as I do :LOL2: :LOL2:

Ictalurus said:
bigwave said:
If you need to self-bail by getting up on plane you would not be able to do this if you put that plug through your bottom.

I'm not sure that is correct. If you put the "fender" you mention and the plug is on the bottom, I'm pretty sure it'd drain while on plane. But, I'd still mount it on the transom to keep it from getting dinged/hung up on woody debris near the shoreline, especially if you get hung up on stuff as often as I do :LOL2: :LOL2:

I guess it might work...I have never seen what he is talking about. I would suspect as long as you had some back pressure where the hole is it would suck the water out. Are you guys talking about a clam shell cover that is part of the thru-hull? I have seen the old livewell thru-hulls that have a protective cover facing forward. I would be curious to know either way.

bigwaveI would suspect as long as you had some back pressure where the hole is it would suck the water out.[/quote said:
That's what I was thinking, the negative pressure would still pull water out of the hull.

Latest posts