Drain plug.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimmor

Reaction score
I have dealt with this on my 79 tracker since I bought it and am looking for a better way. The drain for the livewell is an unusual size. A 1" plug is too small and a 1 1/4" plug is too big. I can't get a 1 1/4" plug in to the hole and if I tighten down a 1" plug as far as I can it still is not tight enough. I have looked for a 1 1/8" plug with no success. What I have been doing is taking some 3M pad material and making 1 wrap around a 1" plug. But everytime I pull the plug I have to replace the pad. Has anybody else come up with a better solution?

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 507
Have you got a Lowes around you? I don't know why but my local one has a whole section of different sized plugs. Probably not specific for boats but they look just like a boat plug.

Maybe take your pocket knife and trim a little rubber off of the 1 1/4" plug all the way around.
Just a little should do the trick.
Tim

I tried something and it has worked so far, but that is only 2 outings. I took some of the liquid eletric tape and applied about 6 coats on a plug. It built it up enough, and is flexible enough. We'll see in the long term. If it will just last this year I'll be happy. I replace my plugs every year so that's all I can ask for.

Situations like this I often fall back onto my belt sander. I can skim a fraction of an inch off of almost anything by gently holding the object and rotating it.

Did it yesterday to remove a small amount from a cork fishing handle... so the handle would fit into a too-tight rod holder.

Also, Have you tried a "snap-Tite" style boat plug? I find that if I hold the nut and screw the handle around, these expand a lot more than the little T-handle style plugs do. All that I use now-a-days.

https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Snap-Tite-Bailer-1-Inch-Brass/dp/B000MT95NM

regards, Rich

richg99 said:
Situations like this I often fall back onto my belt sander. I can skim a fraction of an inch off of almost anything by gently holding the object and rotating it.

Did it yesterday to remove a small amount from a cork fishing handle... so the handle would fit into a too-tight rod holder.

+1 A belt sander or a belt grinder is a great tool to have in the shop. I have an Ellis belt grinder that uses the 3"X60" belts, it's one of the best investments I ever made for my shop.

A regular old belt sander will also work for most of your average stuff.

The Ellis has a heavier motor, and uses heavier duty belts, so you can grind on steel parts, and very rarely will a belt wear out.

I had a similar problem with a dinghy. Get some Rescue Tape (silicone tape), and wrap it around the 1" plug until it's the right size. It'll stay on, won't leak, and is essentially a permanent fix. Grinding/sanding down a plug (IMO) has too much room for error.

Latest posts