Boat Paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
I am getting ready on starting fixing up my boat a little better. I'm planning on painting it first. I was just curious what you guys are using to paint yours and how its holding/held up? I hate the thought of spending all the time and money on paint just to have it start flaking off after a few trips. :?

I bought some Rustoleum "Professional" Primer. You guys think that would do, or what? I know i've looked into a bunch of stuff about alot of paints not bonding to aluminum? :?

Hi - I used Parker's Duck Boat Paint and I was very impressed with the application. I have photos if you'd like.

www.parkerpaints.com i think

Thanks for the reply, but they haven't got the color i'm looking for. I'm either gonna do it just one solid flat grey color, or possibly a lighter hunter green on the outside and a light tan on the inside.

Use automotive paints. I put a single stage paint on mine in 1998, an except for the scratches, it's holding up fine.

I do not know anything about it, but most of the chain auto parts stores carry a Duplicolor product called Paint Shop that's a 3 part system, primer, color, then clear.

Do try to stay away from the spray bomb paints, they are awfully thin, and without the correct prep, no paint is going to stick well.

I rattle canned the inside of mine. Hasnt been long enough to judge durability. I was going to paint the outside with a single stage, acrylic enamal auto paint. Decided not to after looking at how scratched up the factory paint was. If the factory paint is getting tore off,then adding more will just come off too. I fish a lake full of standing timber and stumps. Im hitting things all the time.

I'm definetly plan on prepping it well and sanding down and such....I've just read alot of stories about alot of "regular off-the-shelf" paints not sticking to the aluminum. I'm sure they'll be places that will be down to bare metal, but i'm gonna try to leave as much of the original paint as I can without having to worry about it flaking off.

Use self etching primer. I also wanted to know the answer to the paint question and I went to the local paint store but can't remember what kind they said. But your local automotive paint store will tell you what to use.

do a google search for lock stock and barrell they sell a product called f m e i believe it stands for flat somthing enamel ive always called it f*#king miricle enamel very good stuff meant for boats and very knowledgable person and helpful as the day is long

Correction guys, I bought Rustoleum "Stop Rust" Automotive Primer. It says applies safely to all metals except galvanized metals. As long as I sand all the loose paint down good and use a good course sand paper, do you guys think this would work ok?

Then after the primer, What type of paint would be best to use if I want a flat finish...no slick or shiny look to it?