Boat buying question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmetto08

Reaction score
First of all, you guys have a great site and thanks for letting me post.

I'm looking for an aluminum boat and was hoping you guys could help me out. I've looked at Lowe, Tracker, G3, Duracraft, War Eagle, Xpress and Alweld. I'm having a hard time deciding which would be best for me.

Here's what I've got and what I'm looking for:

- I've got a trailer and a '92 25HP Johnson tiller steer motor
- I will be using it on the Escatawpa River in southern Mississippi and the Mobile Delta when the water is calm
- comfort is key b/c I'll be using it mainly as a recreational boat and just crusing around
- would like to easily hold three people plus ice chest
- would like to spend $1,000 - $2,000 for boat only. I don't want to break the bank but I don't want to go cheap either. Safe/reliable
- welded transom

I'm fairly inexperienced with aluminum and freshwater boats so any replies would be helpful. If any of you could suggest a boat that would fit my criteria, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Don't worry as much about brand name .... focus more on type, layout, and size. Are you thinking V-hull or flat-bottom type boats?

Are you looking to buy new or used?

They are all good boats. I have personally owned 3 G3's and just bought a 4th. Never an issue. My personal advice is to shop craigslist and you will find a deal if you put the time in. The key is NOT to settle. Take your time and put in the time. Welded IMHO is the way to go and the bigger the better to a point that is considering the motor you will be using.
It is where I found this:

Attachments

• frontleftw.jpg
    frontleftw.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 476
  • frontrightw.jpg
    frontrightw.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 476
  • rear4w.jpg
    rear4w.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 476
  • rear5w.jpg
    rear5w.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 476
The layout will dictate a lot as to what type of boat. For instance, I wanted a flat bottom without a center seat so that narrowed things down a bit. I was between a welded tracker grizzly and a riveted alumacraft. I decided on a 1442 alumacraft and I love it. Very well built and sturdy. The price was just under 1000 as a leftover, new they are in the 1300 range. Left me plenty of money for mods. I felt the alumacraft was better built and stronger even being a riveted boat vs a welded, paying half the price didn't hurt at all either. Just my opinion of course.

MrSimon said:
Are you thinking V-hull or flat-bottom type boats? Are you looking to buy new or used?

I'm leaning towards a semi-v or flat bottom. Just concerned that the ride won't be comfortable in a flat bottom.

I'm also looking to buy a new boat

Buying a new boat is a nice option. You are guaranteed a leak free boat, it will be super clean, and you can pick exactly what you want .... and you don't have to search Craigslist for weeks to find it :lol:

Sounds like you are a good candidate for a mod-v.

Do a LOT of calling around. You'll find a pretty big price difference on the same boat from place to place. Don't be afraid to drive a few hours away to pick it up either.

Good luck! And keep us posted on what you get.

In that price range I would be looking at a Alumacraft riveted jon boat.. Welded boats will be 2x what you're willing to spend I imagine, and with a 25hp pushing a riveted boat will be a lot nicer than a welded one that is a lot heavier.

Latest posts