transom paint / prep

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishbuster

Reaction score
Redid my boat a coupel years ago and replaced the wood flooring and transom. I treated all the new wood with resin and fiberglass. The flooring was carpted and I painted the outside of the transom before installing. The paint on the transom is now peeling off the transom. I took the transom out and in certain spots under the gunwell and where the trolling motor attaches the paint is peeling off and the the resin and fiberglass it wearing away. The inside of the transform that sits against the aluminum of the boat is fine.
The wood is still in good shap so I plan on sanding it down and re-finishing it.
Question - is there anything else to seal the wood with that will work better then resin and fiberglass? Or if I do use the resin again, what type of paint works best.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• finished4.JPG
    finished4.JPG
    782.8 KB · Views: 301
  • wood 3.JPG
    wood 3.JPG
    762 KB · Views: 301
It is a little overkill but I used gel-coat over the resin. Mine is white, but you could add pigment to the gel-coat for any color you want. Once its dry your good.

My boat has a piece of aluminum on the transom where the motor clamps against.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
My boat has a piece of aluminum on the transom where the motor clamps against.

I added DP were my trolling and gas motors are mounted. Check out my build (last page) I just posted some pictures that you can see the DP. Bigwave is right to the gel-coat will make it hold up much better too.

I just like the aluminum DP for extra protection and it looks good to.