Transom Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacks013

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm re-doing my 70's Duracraft 14 ft v. I took apart the transom and found that there was a steel 1/8 in plate about 4.5 inches wide that runs the length of the transom. The plate on the outside of the boat is about 10 by 12 inches also steel. My question is whether that kind of strength (and weight) is necessary? Could I just use a smaller section or maybe aluminum plate instead?

spacks013 said:
Hi all,
I'm re-doing my 70's Duracraft 14 ft v. I took apart the transom and found that there was a steel 1/8 in plate about 4.5 inches wide that runs the length of the transom. The plate on the outside of the boat is about 10 by 12 inches also steel. My question is whether that kind of strength (and weight) is necessary? Could I just use a smaller section or maybe aluminum plate instead?

....everything depends on what kind of motor you are going to be running off of that transom. Personally I would keep it as is or beef it up depending on the HP you were going to install.
Down here if it's rated for a 25hp motor that means it's good to go with a 35!

I'll be putting the same merc 20 back on that was on before. The boat will be in the boundary waters from time to time, will be overloaded and may see bigger water up there, I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

Latest posts