flat bottom or v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmaster11

Reaction score
i know this has been asked thousands of times but i have a 1436 jon but for me being 6'4'' 230lbs its just to small and not very stable thought about adding an out rigger of some sort but after looking on craigslist i was looking for a bigger jon but people are wanting way to much for what they got but the v bottoms on there are very cheap just dont know how stable they are never been in one so i guess my question is are v bottoms stable enough for someone my size to walk from one end to the other while fishing without worry of fliping clean out of the boat lol and how are they measured i know jon are length and bottom width but wasnt sure if i got a v what would be a good size thanks in advance for any replys

my v is 14.5 and 63"wide. i can stand at the bow,sides and stern without a care .i'm 6' 265.its very stable,and decked to the bench tops.

I have a 1651 and I can walk around with out a issue. Mine is a falt bottom jon, I'm 6' 1" @ 250#

Doesn't it take more water to flat a V than it does a flat bottom?

v-hulls come in all different shapes and sizes. Narrow and shallow Vs will be tippy. Larger and deeper ones will be very steady.

With that said, a nice mod-v (like a 1648) is about as steady as they come.

Mine is 14 deep v, I had a casting deck that came back 4' from the bow on the top of the transom. I am the same size as you and had no problem at all standing up there and casting. I plan on making it the way it was before I started my mod.

Latest posts