Poor man aluminum welding?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, looks more like soldering than welding. I would trust it to help a leaking rivet, but don't know that I would trust it to fix a crack. I'm not sure how strong it would be considering the "working temperature" of it is nearly 500* less than the melting point of aluminum. Looks like it would just melt into the crack and not really bond it. As far as rivets go, I'd still buck the rivet before I used it. What are you trying to fix? Might just want to go with JB Weld, or a more permanent solution like Mig or Tig welding. There may be some guys on the board that have used something similar and have more real input, but that's my .02

no thanks. solder is for radiators.

I used this stuff a few years ago, and if you have a large or thick piece of aluminum you cant get the aluminum hot enough for it to work.

I used that material, or something very similar, on a model airplane's landing gear. It held up for some of my "anxious" landings....but..it eventually broke when my landings were often closer to crashes.

There are many suggestions already on this group that have proven to work for tightening rivets. Bucking them ( I've never used bucking since I don't have a riveted jon ) and 3M5200 both come to mind. 3m5200 is approved for under-water-line use. It works on lots of things, but not everything.

I'd try some of those suggestions before trying out some other "stuff" that hasn't been proven on boats. Sinking spoils your day.

R

Latest posts