gettin as shallow as possible

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakangmike

Reaction score
hello ive got 2 questions. #1 i have a 16ft flat bottom tunnel hull and a 35 hp short shaft evinrude motor, i was wondering if i get a mini jacker jack plate how shallow do u think ill be able to go?the transom is 15in.

#2 will my 1985 evinrude 35hp be to big for the mini jacker jack plate or should i go bigger on the jack plate.

any answers are appreciated.

Well with a 15 inch transom and a short shaft motor I doubt you will be able to raise the motor more than about 1.5 inches before you start to cavitate. You have to keep the anti vent plate under water at all times including hard turns or you will get blowout so I doubt you would be able to raise it much more than 1.5 inches. I believe mini jacks can handle up to 50 hp but I am not sure?

The TH Mini Jacker is rated to 35 hp. Have you thought about making your own from 1/4" thick aluminum angle?

I agree that 1.5" is about the max you'd be able to raise the motor, but that can make quite a difference. The old racers would/do use 1/4" thick shims to pick up small amounts of speed, so a little bit of change in height can make a big difference at times. I think you'll find that the jet boat conversion might be fun, but not very practical. You should be able to run in pretty skinny water (less than 12") with the motor on the jack plate and trimmed out properly, but I wouldn't go much shallower than that at speed. Although, you cold probably float/pole around in even shallower water.

thanks for all the comments im going to try the mini jacker its not that expensive and i would go with a jet but they are way outta my price range

ill tell u guys if it works or not, the only problem i see would be sucking in air , and not being able to turn but fingers crossed, and i think i could get to about 10 inches of water with speed

Latest posts