How do I cap off a livewell pump outlet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivRunR

Reaction score
I never use my livewell as a livewell, I use it for storage. The lid isn't watertight, but it works for storing anchors and stuff that can get wet.

I had a leak in the hose that feeds the livewell, and altho' I patched it, I'm not sure it's gonna keep holding. The section of hose that is accessible is only like 6" long and very difficult to get to, the rest is buried all the way to the livewell.

Since I only use the livewell for storage anyway, I'm thinking that if I could cap the outlet tube on the pump, then I'd eliminate the patched hose section, and I could easily re-connect the hose if I ever wanted to use the livewell.

So, do you guys think this will work, and if so, what would make a good cap for that pump outlet tube??? I believe it's the standard tube that is made for 3/4" hose.

muskiemike12 said:
I would plug it right where it goes through the transom. You should be able to get a snap in plug that will fit tight.

Are they typically the same size as the normal transom drain holes?

I have a basstracker that I took the livewell out of .... I'm left with a hole in the side of the boat that I need to fill somehow.

It's typically not the same size as your bilge plug. It's either 5/8 or 3/4 I think. Just measure the ID. The outlet in the side of your boat shouldn't take on water, that should be above the water line and is just an over flow for the livewell. I would just leave the fitting in the hull so it looks finished. Otherwise you will probably have to have someone weld the hole.

muskiemike12 said:
It's typically not the same size as your bilge plug. It's either 5/8 or 3/4 I think. Just measure the ID. The outlet in the side of your boat shouldn't take on water, that should be above the water line and is just an over flow for the livewell. I would just leave the fitting in the hull so it looks finished. Otherwise you will probably have to have someone weld the hole.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the hose is a 3/4 ID, which in theory makes the pump tube a 3/4 OD, but I'll have to measure it and find something to plug or cap it. I'd rather find a cap of some sort so that I can put a clamp around it and not have to worry about it.

Now, as far as "the outlet in the side of the boat that should be above water"...listen to THIS bit of engineering genius...the outlet for the livewell is UNDER the boat...and, as if that weren't stupid enough, it is exactly where the bunk sits... so, you can't drain the livewell when the boat is on the trailer because the drain is sitting on the bunk. :shock: The only way to empty the livewell is to pull the plug and bring the boat up to speed to suck the water out. I'm hoping that putting a plug in the livewell drain will keep water from coming in. I don't think I'll try that at WOT. :D

Personally i would look for a universal drain plug like this, we sell them at work for big trucks and they come in alot of different style's and sizes but this would seal it up and be easily removed also.

https://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7041905_0293957575

JamesM56alum said:
Personally i would look for a universal drain plug like this, we sell them at work for big trucks and they come in alot of different style's and sizes but this would seal it up and be easily removed also.

https://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7041905_0293957575

Thanks man, that might just be the ticket!

Latest posts