The perfect rod holders?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfreeman451

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the perfect rod holders for a mv 1648? I would like at least 6 holsters and
Spend most of my time either trolling for walleye or fishing for catfish.

I've considered drift master and folbe, but I like some of the custom stuff as well, just don't want to pay 400 for it.

Has anyone had any experience with the dm 3 way trolling tbar system ? Looks kinda flimsy..

I like driftmasters. I've had several different types with ratcheting angles, rod-holder straps, etc, etc, etc, but I've not found that stuff to be any real advantage. With a driftmaster there's nothing to fool with, nothing to break, easy-in, easy-out.

The "Duo" lets you set rods at an angle or flatline, and the "Troller" (model 455H) sets them at 20 or 50 degrees, and there's a bunch of other models too. They also have "left-side" versions in each model.

I use Scotty Rodmasters, they are about $20. on Amazon, very well built and versatile.

https://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/rodmaster2.htm

100% with RivRunR. I don't think Driftmaster's can be beat.

Here's my custom adjustable rod rack.
2012-02-28_15-51-44_880.jpg

ya ya ya..that thing is sweet but I can't afford it!

I ended up going with the cabelas rebranded scotty holders and extensions..

I wish I had heard of the monster holders before though, they have a nice package deal, 6 holders and bases for 140$ I believe, and they look like they're built a lot better than the DM stuff.

mfreeman451 said:
ya ya ya..that thing is sweet but I can't afford it!

I ended up going with the cabelas rebranded scotty holders and extensions..

I wish I had heard of the monster holders before though, they have a nice package deal, 6 holders and bases for 140$ I believe, and they look like they're built a lot better than the DM stuff.

Those Monster Holders are nice. Only thing I don't like about them is the closed butt-end on the holder. The Driftmaster is 100% open, so you never have any issue getting the rod out of the holder.

i've been using scotty flyrod and berkley spinning rod holders for years.they're cheap and reliable.haven't lost a rod yet,and i've caught some really big fish while trolling.

I love that deluxe rod holder, but I think you're fist mate is even cooler! Is that a french bulldog, or a bug? Cute puppy either way.

I've been using the Cabelas superlite rod holders for 4 yrs. in my current boat, and there's great. We fish primarily for steelhead and cohos, either as a set spread of 6 rods ( with crankbaits or salmon eggs skein ), or 6 rod trolling setup. Either way when a 12-15lb southbound coho hits a northbound lure , You better have the drag set right or You now have a 2 pc. rod out of what was once a nice St Croix 7' MH "1 pc rod". :evil: The rod holder held up better than the rod. For about $ 165.00, You can have a nice rod spread bar that fit in either a 3/4" hole or a pr of cabelas rod holder mount. I'll try to get some pictures posted on Sat. of the setup and You'll see how easy it is with only hand tools and some ingenuity. The spreader bar can be used with any kind of holder, according to ones ability to adapt.

Here is the spreader bar for 6 rod holders I talked about, it may not be polished and shiny but it gets the job done and has worked great for 4 yrs. now. It's not painted, so it's easier to see in the dark when we setup to fish or troll. The main bar is 1" x 2" x 1/8" rectangular tubing, in this case 96" long to reach both gunnels and the mount bases. The bases are Cabelas flush mounts we bored the center ribs out of to clear the vertical posts of the bar. The gunnels were bored using a hole saw to allow the mount to sit down in. The lower end of the mount tube was cross drilled for a snap clip to go thru the vertical post as both a stop and retainer. I had the post welded to the bottom of the bar, but it could have been run inside the bar by drilling a 3/4" hole, inserting the rod, and cross bolted in place. I spaced the rod holders at equal distances apart across the length of the bar, marked them and drilled the pattern of holes. Next I used a drill to "power tap" all of the holes and then used ss machine screws to secure them, making sure the screws were short enough NOT to run into the back side of the tube. From there on it's put the bar in place, secure with the clip pins, and insert rod holders at Your desired angle.MY BOAT 011.JPGMY BOAT 010.JPGMY BOAT 009.JPGMY BOAT 008.JPGMY BOAT 006.JPG This complete setup costs as follows , at least in my areaof NE IN.

cabelas superlite rod holders, w/ mnts. ( 6) $110 (incl. $2 shipping for orders over $49, right now)
extra mounts, new ,( I found 2 used for $5-C/L) (2) 18
alum. rods 3/4" (2) - 12" long 5
alum. tube 96" long 30
stainless screws (24) 5
welding ( @ a long time friends shop) not required 10
______
Total $ 178

Hope this helps someone make their own spreader setup.

thanks for sharing that.. looks like something that would work very well in my boat.

kfa4303 said:
I love that deluxe rod holder, but I think you're fist mate is even cooler! Is that a french bulldog, or a bug? Cute puppy either way.

That's Loretta Lynn...she's a French Bulldog. About 5 months old in that pic. I lost my fishing partner last year (12lb Boston Terrier name Sophia). Loretta's got some big, little shoes to fill. So far, she's doing pretty good.

Great name and a super cute pup. Sorry for your loss. Doggies are the best friends you can ever have. Woof woof!

Latest posts