Gutting rear bench seat for storage any ideas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM56alum

Reaction score
Farmington, minnesota "Orginally Pensacola, F
Just curious what you guy's thought about this, im considering gutting the rear seat and using it for storage. Some one mentioned it might weaken the body but the seat really bares no load other than the passenger, it's only connected to the boat by 2 braces and those wont be removed and the side's of the seat bare 99% of the load anyways because they'er the most rigid surface.

100_0365.jpg

I know a lot of guys, including myself have done it, but I can't say for certain if I recall seeing someone do it to that kind of seat style....mine had a removable bench top so it was put together a little different - all I had to do was put a piano hinge on the new top...

I think you'd be fine with gutting it and putting lids on the bench. I would just get rectangular lids that fit very close to the front and back edge of the bench for maximum support. If the aluminum is thin and the lid is too small, it could possible bend and slightly collapse the aluminum around the edges of the lid if you were to stand on it. I really doubt your aluminum is that thin though and those lids would be very small as well.

If you have foam in the seat...

The foam does give the aluminum some rigidity. When I removed the foam from my bench seat I was blown away by how springy the seat became. Wasn't a factor for me because the plan was to bolt an alum. plate on top of the seat to bare the load anyway.

Latest posts