Paint and Etching Primer Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amkarlix

Reaction score
I am prepping my boat for paint and have a couple of questions. I have started sanding the current paint job, and have taken areas that are not holding well down to aluminum. Most of the paint on the boat however is adhering well so I am just sanding it down to scuff it up. I plan on getting self etching primer, but should I only use it on the areas that are taken down to bare aluminum, or would it be beneficial to prime the entire boat with this primer to give it an even coat before painting? Will the self etching primer even adhere well on top of the current paint? After priming I plan on spraying it with Valspar tractor and implement paint mixed with the hardener. If anyone has any opinions or experience with any of this, advice is greatly appreciated.

Aaron

Go over the rest of the boat with a light scuff of high grit sandpaper and then hit it all with the primer...

This is just IMO - I think you will get an overall more even coat.

This is what I did on the interior of my boat. I didn't try to make it look like a new boat either though - if you are sitting in the boat you can tell it has been painted over in some spots...but i was not going for show room, it is a functional boat for me and is decent looking. A heck of a lot better than it was.

Anyone else have any experience with this? I read that self etching primer can cause paint to peel if applied over it.

Can you site that source, I would like to see it.

I know I have seen a lot of people on here recommend it since last year and it is what I based my decision on. My paint hasn't peeled at all...

Prime the whole boat. I just got done with my painting last week. Finish sanding as best you could, wipe down with some acetone, and then prime. 2-3 coats of primer. Now the primer will leave some paint dust particles behind. Just wipe off. And then the boat should be ready to paint.
Just my 2 cents.

You can check out my paint job one the project in my sig.

I checked out your paint job, looks good. You must also be taking advantage of the unseasonably nice weather we have been having in Illinois so far this year. I just got done with the first coat of self etching primer on my boat. Went ahead and sprayed the entire boat. I will start a mod thread soon and show some pictures. Thanks for the advice from both people that responded here.

Aaron

Latest posts