Ultra cheap floor covering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
I have a 12' semi v and wanted something to quiet down the noise on the floor, as well it more foot friendly when I go barefoot. Since the boat is so small, it has no bilge pump, it takes in a lot of sand, and most of all because I am cheap, I didn't want to put in a permanent floor. My solution was to buy three outdoor floor mats from Wal Mart for $4 each. I just put them right were I stand the most. I didn't even have to glue them down because there is enough heavy stuff to hold them down. When they get dirty I can just pull them out and shake them off.

CodyPomeroy said:
I have a 12' semi v and wanted something to quiet down the noise on the floor, as well it more foot friendly when I go barefoot. Since the boat is so small, it has no bilge pump, it takes in a lot of sand, and most of all because I am cheap, I didn't want to put in a permanent floor. My solution was to buy three outdoor floor mats from Wal Mart for $4 each. I just put them right were I stand the most. I didn't even have to glue them down because there is enough heavy stuff to hold them down. When they get dirty I can just pull them out and shake them off.

Another option is to look/ask for remnant pieces. Sometimes you can get them for next to nothing.

Cool solutions. I've been looking for some industrial grade, kitchen floor mats for the same reasons. I like the idea of a removable floor that lets me have access to everything in the boat, if need be. BTW Big Kat, you have my dream motor as your avatar. I love that reverse two-tone of the '58 models. Very nice.

HD and Lowes both carry perforated black-rubber floor mats. They are 3/4 inch thick and come in a 3 x 3 foot size for about $21. Easy to cut-to-fit, they really quiet a boat but are somewhat heavy.

I got one of those 2x4 about at a yard sale for .50. I would never pay $21-30 for that...that's not cheap flooring.

Old cow mats cut down work good. I've also got cut up carpet remnants, the low cut commercial stuff. Soaks up a lot of water, though.

I wish I could find something like the perferated cow mats (rubber) that didn't weigh a ton.

Jdholmes said:
I got one of those 2x4 about at a yard sale for .50. I would never pay $21-30 for that...that's not cheap flooring.

I hear ya but lets be real, If you drive around all day and burn $50 in gas to buy a $21 mat for .50 I think you lost. :roll:

Ummm, i didn't...and wouldn't. I came upon it during our usual yard sale hunting. We live in Vegas so we don't have to do that much driving to hit a good amount of them.

My point was not that you should go hunting yard sales to find it. I got a deal and was sharing that - the actual point I was emphasizing is that it is not really a cheap floor covering and I would never pay 20-30 for a small floor cover. Especially when you can come across better deals.

Haha...thing about yard sales is that you have to be a yard sale lover to do it. I have heard people make excuses why they don't do it or it isn't worth it using the same statement you just did. We have probably made more money then we have spent by finding deals and reselling...and then when you account for the savings we got on the things we keep...it's a no brainer for us.

We bought a picture for $5 because it looked like a Peter Lik lookalike and sold it for $85 within two days. Bought a Tippmann 98 paintball marker for $8 and sold it within a week for $80...that is only a couple of things we have profited on...we bought a Platinum Keurig coffee machine for $30 - used it for six months before it broke, I called the company and they sent me a brand new $179 dollar machine for free...

For us yard sales are an easy choice.

Jdholmes said:
I went to Lowes and saw those, and didn't think it was worth it either.

kfa4303 said:
Cool solutions. I've been looking for some industrial grade, kitchen floor mats for the same reasons. I like the idea of a removable floor that lets me have access to everything in the boat, if need be. BTW Big Kat, you have my dream motor as your avatar. I love that reverse two-tone of the '58 models. Very nice.

I work at a local flooring retailer, so we have remnant carpets all over the place--which is why I knew it could be a decent option. Typically, we throw away large enough chunks to piece together on a boat on a daily basis. Unfortunately though, we do not have any outdoor carpeting, and I would have to pick up the freight if we ordered some--so I'm just getting mine at Lowes.

As far as the motor, I absolutely agree--I love the reverse colors of the '58. It just happened that when it was finally time for me to get a motor, I responded to the first craigslist ad that was in my price range for the HP I wanted, and it was this '58. Gonna make my 59' alumacraft skip across the water! :D

Latest posts