How to build a center console?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylebacc

Reaction score
Hello all!

So how would y'all go about building a center console? Ideally, something shaped like this:

KGrHqVksE8OsZTsYEBPK9-wUnu60_58.jpg

It doesn't have to be glass, but I'd rather it not be dog ugly either. And if it is glass, how do you frame it? Out of wood? Wouldn't that be really heavy? Maybe aluminum angle and sheets? Would that be flimsy? I just don't have $500 laying around to buy a center console that is probably too short. So I figure it could be made for cheaper, correct?

If I'm you, I would frame it with 2x2 wood with 1/8" or 1/4" finish quality marine plywood using filler to fill nail or screw holes and paint or stain it. The down side of that is you would have sharper corners, but it would be a lot cheaper. I'm not sure what your going to mount that on, but using the right wood doesn't have to be that heavy and you can customize it to suit your needs. That's my opinion anyway.

Here are a couple of my wood consoles. I'd use 1/2ply and 2x2's to join the sides. Then a belt sander to smooth it over, applied wood fill to close the gaps, sand again, then floor paint for a coating. Think it only cost about $30 to make after paint.

Attachments

• consoleseat.jpg
    consoleseat.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 880
  • consuk.jpg
    consuk.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 880
  • consul.jpg
    consul.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 880
  • 0419112042.jpg
    0419112042.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 880
  • skib3.JPG
    skib3.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 878
  • console1.JPG
    console1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 878
  • cc1.jpg
    cc1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 878
As stated above you could glass over real thin plywood to the shape you desire. The only problem is that over time the glass will crack on the seams. I you want to go the glass way you should build a fiberglass plug, use a release agent and a coat of gel-coat followed by two to three coats of resin. You can Google this method. It is very time consuming and expensive...I recommend just buying a console like the one above. The way sixgun did his is in-expensive and serves its purpose well within a budget. I have built a plug for a livewell and plan on making one for my boat.....I have all the materials aready so cost is not an issue for me. When I make the well I will post on here for everyone to see......looks like a challenge and I am up for it. Good luck.

One of the members here did a really nice CC out of a truck box

Really nice!

https://www.tinboats.net/index.php/Articles/boat-center-console.html

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16347

basstracker097.jpg

Latest posts