Tracker - general info question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishbuster

Reaction score
Getting the itch to upgrade from my 86 14' deep V to an aluminum 16' or 17' Tracker. I have started to look around but I am not quite shure how old I want to go. Budget prohibits anything recent, but was thinking of someting in the early 90s to 2000.
I was wondering
Are any certian modle years better than others?
When where any major changes made (i.e. rivet vs weld, hull shape, grade of aluminum, etc.)

Thanks for the info

Joe

around the mid 90's most bass boats got wider, tracker included. I believe it was 94 but don't quote me.
Before the change the 17' boats had a 49" bottom

Derek said:
around the mid 90's most bass boats got wider, tracker included. I believe it was 94 but don't quote me.
Before the change the 17' boats had a 49" bottom

My 95 has a 49" bottom, so I'd guess 96 or 97 they got bigger. With that being said, a 1749 or 1750 is plenty big enough for most people.

IMO, earlier models are better (anything from the 90's). While they are riveted, I firmly believe the build quality was much higher then, than it is now.

Take your time decided which one to buy. Every month or two there seems to be a decent 90's tracker with a 40 or 50 horse that will pop up for 2 grand or less.

I have a '98 Pro Deep V 17 that I bought new and absolutely love.

All the seats are pedestal seats with 5 bases and 3 seats that I can arrange any way I want.

The boat came from the factory with 5/8" CCA pressure treated decking and 2 layers of 3/4" pressure treated CCA for the transom.

My boat has more than ample floatation foam, I can launch with the bilge plug out and water never comes up through the deck drain.

It also has a large livell and baitwell, rod storage, and lots of other storage.

The only thing I would suggest you keep an eye out for is what previous owners have done to them in the name of customizing and restorations.