Looking for some opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
Picture 062.jpgThose that have had to make a 20" transom cut down to a 15" could I get some feedback on if my cavitation plate is in the proper location. It will be a while before I can splash the boat and just want to know if anyone has cut their transoms like I cut mine.

Attachments

• engine 3.JPG
    engine 3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
  • transomengine1.JPG
    transomengine1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
Looks pretty good position to me. I believe the rule of thumb that is the cavitation plate should be 1-2" below the bottom of the hull.

HI big wave. Cool boat. Your anti-vent plate is about right. You can actually want it to be level, or up to about 1 1/2" ABOVE the keel (bottom) of the boat. Ideally, it should just barely break the surface of the water when on plane. It may seem a little counter-intuitive, but considering that vessels are stern heavy, the LU will always be well submerged at rest and speed and when you get on plane water is force up the intake to insure proper cooling of the motor while minimizing drag. The more the LU hangs below the keel the more drag you'll experience and the more impaired your performance will be, particularly on the high end. You're set up looks good to go now, but you could probably raise it about an inch and get even better performance on the top end, if that matters to you.