Trailering Small Outboard Up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdholmes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have been wondering about this for a while and looking online seems to get about a 50/50 response in regards to transom savers. Thing is a lot of times they are discussing big motors, too.

I am hauling a 9.5 hp Johnson and from some of what I have read people mentioned they trailer with it in the up position with a rod holding it and then strapping it down....my motor appears to have that rod and so I rigged it like that...take a look at the pics, should I be alright or is there danger of something snapping?

What's your take? Is this a non issue with low hp motors?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332638131.018009.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332638131.018009.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,546
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332638139.673728.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332638139.673728.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 1,546
Normally I just lower the motor all the way and lock it then turn it to the port side and then strap it down. This works fine for my 15. I think if you raise it, it can torque on the mount while trailering, which is never good...but that's just my opinion.

Motor in the down position also but I leave mine unlocked so just in case I do hit something way up there the motor will tilt up.I do put a bungee on it so it doesn't bounce.

I use a transom saver on my 15hp and my 40hp.

My fiberglass boat originally had a 48hp. Before I bought a transom saver, I could watch that motor bounce up and down, in a tilted or down position when I hit a dip or something on the freeway. IMO, a transom saver is cheap insurance.

Any more feedback from folks. Wondering if you think I will have any issues trailering the motor strapped in the position shown.

It is a light motor - 9.5 hp 2 stroke johnson, no hydraulics.

I suppose I could take the motor off and trailer it in the boat, but that will be a hassle I would rather avoid if I will ave no issues lugging it like shown.

I can't trailer it down all the way because I only have 8 inches of clearance to the skeg that way and a transom saver isn't ideal with the way the trailer is.

Not only the transom saver saves the motor itself but the transom of you boat, too.

Based on what? I have read a lot of responses on other forums about this topic and a lot of people dispute that and most of the experience to that effect tends to come from folks with heavy motors...so I guess I am looking for some good info from folks with small motors.

I've got a 40 Johnson and a 40 Yammie on two different boats. I use the "stop" that is part of the motor. Both have hydraulic tilt...so I crank them up, and then lower onto the flip stop that is part of the engine.

Half the people I read seem to feel that the transom savers transfer the road's bumps to the boat and motor,....... and the other half swear by them.

I'm confused. A confused mind always says NO!. So, presently, I don't use one for trailering.

Years ago, there was a transom saver that had a nitrogen pneumatic "shock-absorber". It looked like it would absorb and cushion the bounces BOTH ways. Haven't seen them in years, though. Might use that one if I had one.

R

This is how I see it, by securing the motor to the trailer with a transom saver it saves your transom from supporting all that weight from the motor bouncing from bumps in the road. The motor will be bouncing from bumps regardless, might as well support as much weight as possible on the trailer instead of counting on the transom to support it all. Obviously I am pro-transom saver, I've never seen or heard anything that would make me, personally, not want to use one.

Jdholmes said:
Can't trailer down, unfortunately or I would. I have 8 inches clearance when down.

Do you have a long shaft motor on a short transom, or small tires on your trailer? What is the clearence from the bottom of your trailer axle to the ground?

Transom savers are good, just use a ratcheting tie down strap from the motor in the saver back to the back of your trailer.

Yeah, I understand some folks want to do the transom saver route, but I don't think that will work with my setup...and I don't know that I am sold on the idea anyway. I would rather the motor be secured to the boat tightly than the trailer.

My biggest question, is if anyone knows I would be in danger of breaking anything on the motor...

Rich, it sounds like you are doing just what I am talking about. If you can see in the picture, there is a rod that swings back into a notch and that is what the motor is resting on...is that what you are doing?

JD not a rod...but... a "tab" that is riveted to the motor mount itself. It swings up or down after I lift the motor using the hydraulics. I doubt that I could easily lift a 40 hp 2 cycle up and down without hydraulics.

After I swing the "tab" into place (which is what it was designed for)..I use the hydraulics to lock the motor against the tab. Free-fall bouncing is eliminated by doing that.

I've never been convinced that tying the motor solidly to the trailer is a good idea, unless I had a shock absorber in between. Someday, I'll just make one using one or two of those struts that hold hatches and hoods up on cars.

I love having hydraulic tilt and trim. The 40 Yammie does NOT have hydraulic trim...just hydraulic tilt. So, I cannot adjust the motor while underway, unless I am just putt-putting along. I never knew that they even sold them with just hydraulic tilt, without trim..... until I bought this rig.
regards, R

I have been trailering my boat with the motor up. I thought that was standard procedure just incase of something in the road. No transom saver either because I thought small engines dont need them. I drove to a lake over an hour away today like that. Maybe I should keep it down? Never really thought about it.

Appreciate the feedback guys. I had driven it a little before replacing the transom down but I was constantly worried. Tomorrow I will give it a try in this position and see how it goes...it feels pretty secure and given the smooth roads around here and not going more than 60 mph to get there, hopefully it will be good.

I say go for the transom savor! It keeps the weight off the transom, placing it on the trailer. even if the motor is light, think; lighter motors, smaller transom, usually making it not as strong. I would put a transom saver on any boat/motor bigger than a 5hp. Make sure you use a ratchet step to secure the motor in the transom saver, then step it to the trailer.

Thanks for the input but as said a transom saver was not really an option in this case even if I believed it was better.

In reality my transom is very strong and has much more surface than the original factory design and is quite big for a small boat.

In any case I tried it today and after driving for just a couple minutes realized that trailering it in that position was just not going to work for me. Being held up by that rod was not ideal at all. I pulled in to the gas station and put the motor all the way down, and ratchet strapped it tight to the boat. I figure the axle is even lower than the skeg so it should be alright for clearance...we have no bumpy roads here...and guess what? It worked great...no issues, no bouncing around...good to go.

Latest posts