Digger anchor...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMC

Reaction score
Hi to all, yesterday we went to a free fishing show (because the last weekend i went to a boat show where parking and admission cost $24 :shock: )...so we came across this vendor showing the passer by's an anchor that when stuck at the bottom of a lake can dislogeitself with a little tug =D> ...wow we said !...we have been using one of those shapped like a ...well it's not the mushroom (cast iron) it the other kind with notches in it...but we always drifted away even when anchor was down and plowing the bottom of the pond :roll: ....so we bought a #12 for our 14' Lund show special at $98.00,regular price $109.00...the #12 supposed to be good for boats up to 20'...opinions please on this anchor and thank you.
Dan

Ninety eight dollars is way too rich for my 14 foot Gregor or my 15 foot fiberglass. Infact, I use the same anchor, something like this: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/G-P-669-11-B/PVC+Coated+Slip+Ring+Fluke+Style+Anchor+8lb.html

Mine is galvanized and even cheaper!

I have used my Gregor Baja Special a lot in salt water anchoring it out in some tough places. For safety and also being able to sleep most nights without worry I have always used an old 17 pound Danforth with about 8 feet of 1/2 inch galvanized chain. I use 150 feet of 5/8 inch braided nylon line.

I realize that my ground tackle is way more that the average person wants or needs and am only telling what I use as an example of what works for me.

One night on the East Cape of Baja California [Los Barriles] a real hard offshore wind came up and blew the boat several yards from where I had left it and only stopped because the anchor flukes went under a low rock reef. Next day I had to make 2 free dives in very deep water to pull the flukes out from under the rock formation.

Anchoring is a very serious business!

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Regards, Keith

Latest posts