Rivets vs. Bolts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybeard1

Reaction score
So I've got my transom wood cut, glued and 3 coats of sealer put on. Gonna give it another coat tonite, then I'll be ready to put things back together. I was planning on just using stainless steel bolts for the wood, but I also had to remove the two braces from floor to transom to get the new piece in. Is their any reason the ss bolts wouldn't work for that also? I plan on using a sealer around the bolts, and where they are located a little bolt sticking up isn't going to hurt anything. Got a lot of good advice from searching on here, and hopefully can post some pics of my project when I get it done.

Graybeard

I too, had to drill out rivets attaching my knee brce to the hull to remove my transom. I used SS bolts and nuts to put it back together, think they were #8 in size. I've had both my 8 HP and 20 HP on the boat and so far so good, I'd do it again. I did put some 3M 5200 in there to seal it up. This may not the be the "best" way to go, but it worked for me.

I agree. Stainless hardware dipped in 3M 5200 with a bit of loctite and you should be good to go until the Zombie Apocalypse comes.

Stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts coated with 3M 5200 are ok if you don't have the rivet tools... but if you own a riveted boat, a rivet setting tool and a selection of closed end blind rivets come in vey handy and any job you do with them looks a lot more professional.

I trust rivets more than I do nuts and bolts... but that's probably just me.

very true. if you have the rivet supplies they're best, but if you only have a few fasteners to do it may not be worth getting rivets and a tool, etc..., but they are handy and seal things up super tight.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll go with the bolts. I'm sure rivets would be nicer in some respects, but I don't have the tools, and we're just talking about a 40 yr old boat I use on small rivers to go around over and through brush piles and snags, etc. So appearance isn't a big deal to me.

Nuts and bolts work great. You will do fine with that. I would go bigger than a number 8 though...that is pretty small. I used # 10 and felt they were as small as I would feel comfortable using for the transom. Use nylon nuts as mentioned and the 5200 - no need for Loctite.

Don't worry about it not looking good - done right it can be a nice, clean job.

Latest posts