Will primer/paint adhere to fully cured 3M 5200?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
I used 5200 liberaly in seam between alum floor and sides. I used it between, and then added an "insurance" bead on top. That might not have been the best, but hoping it can be painted. While it will take 7 days to cure, removing it now would not be a "fun" job.

Vermonster said:
FuzzyGrub said:
It is a slooooow cure, so it will be a few days.

IT SURE IS! :) The wife wants the carport back already.

The colder temps is not helping, either! I did hear that misting water over it will help, but haven't tried it.

It couldn't hurt...I have heard mixed reports on that. Some say it cures underwater but does nothing to speed the process.

+1. You can paint over it, but give it plenty of time to cure, like over a week :/ That's about the only down side of 5200, it can take a while to cure depending on conditions, but otherwise it's wonder caulk.

I used the 5200 Fast cure, it says a 1/8 inch bead will cure in 24 hours, I am still giving it a week before priming and painting. The thickness impacts the cure time so read the label on your tube to get a true idea since you said you were liberal in the application! Good luck, I am hoping to prime and paint this weekend.

Still tacky:

JonProject011.jpg