I have a question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kochy

Reaction score
Okay, I've seen boats like this around and I'm wondering about it. Some boats have a huge engine on the back, then right next to it, is like a small engine, like a 10 or 5 hp. Why is that? Is that for trolling?

Then what's a trolling motor for then if they troll with the smaller engines? Also, I have a Mercury Classic 50, Would I be able to put it in a low gear. And troll that a way?

Actually, ( at least the way I use it) my trolling motor should be re-named as my "postioning motor".

I, and many others, use the trolling motor to move in and out of docks; trees; around reefs, and change the direction when I am drift fishing. I can't ever remember using it to troll..... not once. I'm sure others have their own descriptions of its use for them, though. Rich

Well I have a Mercury Classic 50, which is a 45hp, Would I be able to put it in a low gear for trolling? I mean, I want to start doing some trolling but, I don't want to go out and buy another motor.

Here is what I know, which may not be much! Trolling speed is usually based on a bunch of factors like water clarity, temp, lure action, HP of motor, weight of boat and equipment and species of fish your after. In general, most trollers try for speeds ranging from less than one mile per hour up to three. Usually you cannot get a gas engine to idle slow enough unless its fairly low HP and I have heard that it is not the best for two stroke engines. So you can put what is called a trolling plate on your engine, this is basically a plate that drops in front of the prop cuttng off some thrust from the engine. Goggle "Happy Troller", which is one product that is available and it will give you an idea of how it works. Other options include an electric trolling motor or the smaller gas engine you speak of. Hope that helps - Chris

It was a question I wandered about also until I moved up to good ol michigan. A lot of people will use planer boards and troll the larger lakes (great lakes) at 1-2mph for walleye and the like. Apparently it is a really effective way of covering a lot of water in these big ol areas. Gonna get my 1st try at it this coming weekend! The smaller motor is easier to maintain such a slow speed.

ChrisP said:
Here is what I know, which may not be much! Trolling speed is usually based on a bunch of factors like water clarity, temp, lure action, HP of motor, weight of boat and equipment and species of fish your after. In general, most trollers try for speeds ranging from less than one mile per hour up to three. Usually you cannot get a gas engine to idle slow enough unless its fairly low HP and I have heard that it is not the best for two stroke engines. So you can put what is called a trolling plate on your engine, this is basically a plate that drops in front of the prop cuttng off some thrust from the engine. Goggle "Happy Troller", which is one product that is available and it will give you an idea of how it works. Other options include an electric trolling motor or the smaller gas engine you speak of. Hope that helps - Chris

For those of us with jetboats, we already have the best trolling plate in the world...it's called a reverse gate. I'm not sure how outboard jets are configured, but with inboard jets like my boat, the reverse gate is infinitely adjustable, from full ahead to full astern. Putting it just a little above neutral gives me the perfect trolling speed. :mrgreen:

So how would I go about mounting a Motor if I wanted to add it. My transom is covered. Would it be easier to just let a Marine do it?

What kind of boat do you have, can you post a pic? One option is a bow mounted electric trolling motor but there are a lot of people here with experience on that subject.

Kicker motors are very common where I live due to the chinook salmon and trout fishing that is done on the big waters here. Most kickers that you see will be on 20' plus fishing boats and are usually 9.9 hp or less (some 15hp's but rare). It is not practical to pull boats of this size around with an electric trolling motor, especially in waves over 2 feet. The gas powered kickers allow these larger boats to maintain a more consistent speed in waters like this. An electric could not do this. Small 4 strokes are now the hot ticket though due to the fact they can run forever on a small amount of fuel, much quieter, and handle the long hours at low RPM much better than a 2 stroke. (mind you that these guys do nothing but trolling, planer boards and down riggers is all they use and they troll all day long) Some of these guys have been fishing so long like this that they forget how to actually cast a pole lol.......

Trolling with a 45hp motor is not practical IMO, especially a 2 stroke. Even if you can get it down to speed you will just be putting unneeded wear and tear on your main motor. If you have a small tin boat under 18' or so, an electric bow or stern mount should handle the boat just fine for small trolling runs. If you like to do lots of trolling I would recommend a small 4 stroke, say 5-8hp depending on what size boat you have and the weight you are pushing around.

Mine's a 16 foot, 1987 Bass Tracker MV-16, I had it out when we first bought it, The 55 volt, pedal trolling motor didn't seem to make it go that fast. But, I'm thinking it wasn't going as fast because there was alot of Waterlogged foam under the floor.

Latest posts