Lowes attic decking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darndam

Reaction score
panel.jpgHas anyone tried Lowes attic decking as a light weight decking material? It looks like PVC, avail in different sizes, etc. easy access to underneath. Easily removed for cleaning?
Could be secured to ribs with brackets or maybe build guide rails with aluminum angle??? Thoughts Opinions?

Item # 1347... on the lowes website just put 1347 into the search bar.

Thanks, and that would be because if they are not UV resistant they might degrade over time?

The picture does look like PVC, but the title has OSB in it. Oriented Strand Board? It is 1.5" thick, and didn't see a weight on it. Under specs, weather exposure: interior use only. Have you handled it in the store?

It's definitely a type of plastic. It says "lightweight", but relative to what?
Here's a more detailed view: https://www.atticdek.com/images/products-web/AD_Instructions.pdf

If you keep your boat covered when not in use, I doubt you would have much of a problem with UV breakdown for quite a while.

It looks like it would be pretty good to go, unless you drop something small between the slats. Better keep some needle nose pliers on board.

I agree. I think the only issue would be the UV resistance, which could be managed with care. Regular, white PVC will eventually get brittle if exposed to UV for too long of course , but I think we all have, or have seen PVC rod holders and the like which have lasted for many a good year and it's hard to beat for the price and availability. Plus, I like anything DIY. Keep us posted.

I'll try to remember to take a look the next time I'm in the store. The 16" or 24" centers probably dont align with direct placement on cross ribs. Most of mine are on 14" centers. I guess you could run stringers, and three wide should cover a typical 48" wide jon.

Thanks all for your thoughts on this. As I have just embarked on my first project I will check it out at lowes over the weekend and report back. I may try to build runners with alum angle to see of I can't gt them to sit naturally.