Question about treated lumber????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtat

Reaction score
Redone my boat last year and used treated lumber before finding this site. My question is how long does it normally take before any pitting starts? I removed the floor and had maybe a half a dime size of white powder no different than the piece next to it which is not treated. Am i worried for no reason or am i ok? Any help would be great because im confused on what to do because everything lookes okay as of now.

I would replace the treated wood as soon as you can. The dime size areas of white powder could still be from the treated wood. When it gets wet it will leech the chemicals in it all around the boat. Not sure what type of treated lumber you put in but most treated wood has chromic acid, copper oxide and arsenic in it. When the treated wood is dry it will not deteriorate the aluminum or metal as fast, but when it gets wet then the corrosive rate increases exponentially.

At minimum I would paint or seal the treated wood in an attempt to keep it out of contact with the metal. Best to replace it though :(

Johny25 said:
I would replace the treated wood as soon as you can. The dime size areas of white powder could still be from the treated wood. When it gets wet it will leech the chemicals in it all around the boat. Not sure what type of treated lumber you put in but most treated wood has chromic acid, copper oxide and arsenic in it. When the treated wood is dry it will not deteriorate the aluminum or metal as fast, but when it gets wet then the corrosive rate increases exponentially.

At minimum I would paint or seal the treated wood in an attempt to keep it out of contact with the metal. Best to replace it though :(
They took out the arsenic and upped the copper. The copper is the problem, it's a dissimilar metal from the aluminum.

I too put treated wood as a floor for my Jon boat. We used subflooring, because according to the Home Depot employee, once sealed, it will be the most retardant of water and will not buckle. Once I had it cut properly, I put three coates (on each side) of weatherproof outdoor paint on it. Guess I'll be looking for an alternative before it gets too late.

Yep, don't use it. Some time in the history of my boat an owner used it on the back of the transom and it made a pitted mess of everything when I went to replace it last year. Good thing old boats have thick aluminum!

Took some more of the treated plywood out today and where it gets wet the most it had about a half dollar size of pitting. I have started taking it all out now and i'm looking for a replacement plywood has anyone tried advantech or dri-ply with any luck?

Just get exterior ply (obviously not treated) and coat it really good with spar urethane and you will be fine.

agreed on dont use it! do not use thompsons water seal on non treated lumber either. i did and got the same white spots mentioned before. about 6 mons ago i took a peice of thompsons sealed ply and bolted it to a peice of aluminum for an experiment and will tell you it is pitting already! when i get back in town i will post some pics for everyone to see....

Latest posts