driving lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txneal

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a plan for some driving lights for my boat, so I can clearly see way out ahead of the boat at night and I'm hoping some of you guys can share what you've done. My boat is a 14ft. Starcraft Seafarer with a 25hp Evinrude. I'm wishing I had a very bright, far-reaching light....

I don't do a lot of nighttime boating, but I do occasionally go out and run trotlines in the dark and cruise out to some crappie fishing spots at night.

In the past, I've had my fishing buddy sit up front and shine a Q-Beam, so I can see where we're going. However, this is a little awkward and I'd rather have something else that works better. Since I don't go out at night very often, I'm thinking that I'd rather have something removable than a permanent set-up. Any good ideas you guys are willing to share?

I see two options for you.

First, you could mount a marine flood light, similar to this on the bow:

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbs-12v-Marine-Flood-Light/dp/B0011MPCGS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

Or...

Use a handheld flood light which is much brighter, and fabricate a mount on your steering helm where you can clamp it down facing forward. The advantage is you can release the clamps if you need to point it another direction other then forward... a light such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-QB...EF5C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1333121785&sr=8-9

You could try a tractor utility light. I think they're 4". I put one on my atv. Soldered a longer wires on and added alligator clips to hook it to my battery. Then I bolted a wood working spring clamp to the mounting bracket so it could be put in different spots or put in the storage box. Works well and is pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for your reply, Bigkat650. The second link you posted there is exactly what I'm already using; just having someone hold it by hand. The other one, the flood light, I suppose would have to be mounted to the bow or some other sort of mount. As a flood light, only extending 30 feet, I don't think it'll be enough light to see.

Since I would like this thing to be easily removable, I've been thinking that I might be able to build a sort of rack that could be mounted into the oarlock holes on my gunwale and then go up a few feet with a crossbar that the lights mount to. I'm thinking that would get them up high enough to not be shining into my front passenger and possibly allow me to direct the beam way out in front. Just not too sure how practical that would be as it might really get in the way. I don't have a steering helm as this boat simply has three seats and it tiller controlled.

I frequently fish in a lake that is a flooded forest, with many, many treetops sticking out of the water, or worse yet, just below the surface. Nighttime boating out there is a little bit scary and I try to keep the speed way down and carefully scan in front of the boat for trees. In my opinion, a very bright and far-reaching beam would be very helpful. Perhaps a combination of a flood and spot light would work best?

Backwater...just noticed your post. I'm going to see if I can find some info on tractor utility lights...thanks!

I bought one of these pretty cheap, under $100. Its remote control Spot light, Model 970

All Remote could redirect you to a local dealer or ship direct.

https://www.allremote.com.tw/
[email protected]

Attachments

• light.JPG
    light.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 837
I installed a set of prow lights on my jetboat. While they're not as high intensity as a Q-beam, they definitely help out.

Here's a link to the thread, with lots of photos:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23748

These are some great ideas...thanks guys! I'm about to leave town for a couple of days and won't check back into this thread until I get back, but looking forward to seeing any ideas you guys have.

I've been looking for some driving lights too.

Does anyone know how well these work? How far ahead does the beam project?

https://www.oznium.com/marine-led-spotlight

I get mine at walmart. Their 55 watts each.

Attachments

• IMG_5664.JPG
    IMG_5664.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 829
I mounted some car fog lights on my front rail. They have real thick glass so you don't have to worry abou rocks and sticks cracking them. Sorry, I don't have pics handy.

Be careful and check your laws. I'm in Indiana and its illegal to run those lights at night.

Under COLREGS rules 21-24....it is technically illegal to display ANY lights while underway at night, except for the nav lights.

Still, I see people running prow lights, driving lights, etc... all the time. I don't run my prow lights when I'm in main channels, particularly federal channels marked by the USCG. But when I'm running in back creeks at low tide, I'll run my prow lights, as they help me to spot shoaling areas, or crab trap buoys.

Latest posts