Painting questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinFromGA

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Duracraft, and the factory paint job is very faded. I was looking to paint it the factory olive drab green color. As far as prep work goes, do I need to strip all of the paint prior to applying new paint? The original paint is adhered to the boat and there is no flaking. I assume I could just rough up the surface and It would be fine, but I could be wrong. Do I need to put a primer on and if so what kind/brand of primer. And last but not least does anyone have a recommendation for a Brand or type of paint I should use? I am a big duck hunter so I do need the paint to have a flat finish.

As you can see I know nothing about this so any help is much appreciated!

You should be good with just roughing up the surface since your paint is well-adhered. Clean it good after you sand (acetone works well and does not leave a film) and you should get food adhesion of the fresh paint. I hear a lot of folks using Parker's duck boat paint, but I don't have any personal experience. the flat khaki paint I have inside mine is a brand called "Majik" and was bought at Agri-Supply company in Garner, NC. I don;t know if it is available in your area, but mine seems to be holding up well.