Mounting trolling motor, what have you learned?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Getting ready to mount my first trolling motor next week. Terrova 55 with i pilot!

Curious as to what you have learned do's and don'ts of the process.

A friend of mine said to put rubber under the trolling motor to reduce vibrations? I was thinking a piece of aluminum with carpet adhered. I have some left over carpet from the deck.

Nice, solid flat mounting. All four mounting bolts to hold tight with good backer board. No sheet metal only. I prefer through bolt. I have not had any need to add rubber, or any other cushion. That may cause some play and possible vibration.

MAKE SURE, and I repeat MAKE SURE to leave at least a 1" gap between the outer edge of the boat hull and the shaft, I used a socket to determine the gap. You need this 1" or more gag so the TM won't bind in any way. This gap usually results in the leading edge of the TM's mounting base sticking out past the bow of the boat. Take you time, place the TM on the bow, and THINK about what you're gonna do, make sure the TM will clear the winch, will allow you to move around in the bow of the boat, convenient to deploy, etc., BEFORE you drill them holes. It only hurts for a while, but the pucker factor can be intense.

If your boat has access to under the bow, use the biggest/thickest bolts you can fit, with fender washers and nylock nuts.

Latest posts