Tracker Boat......Never Again!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble

Reaction score
I have never been more disappointed in a boat than I am with my 1 year old Tracker 1542.
Today I decided to put nice registration numbers on it and behold, the tape I used to line everything nice and neat pulled the paint off.  Now I would expect this if I had used masking tape or duct tape, but I used the blue painting tape.  I have a 1981 Terry 1436 that the paint has held up better than this boat. I will NEVER own another Tracker boat.

IMG-20120401-00039.jpg

Seriously, a year old and the paint peels off with blue painter's tape? I'd like to know what Tracker has to say about this.

Better not get it wet, it might melt. Just kidding - that stinks!

Tracker had a problem with the paint on the 2011 jons. I know the feeling, I have the same boat. I heard someone else who had the problem complained to tracker, and they got a hefty Bass Pro gift card.

That's pathetic... I'd be on the phone and sending them at email... to the TOP of the food chain at Tracker... not just Charlie in Customer Service.

yea my 1542 is less than a year old and it's missing atleast 25% of it's paint because it literally just rubs off/chips constantly. I've complained to the dealer I got it from and they only offered to order me a can of the paint from tracker but I'm not paying $35 for a can of spray paint + shipping.

does anyone have the email for tracker? their contact us portion of their site only has mailing address and phone number.

That is unreal.

Some advice: Use the mailing address and address it to the CEO. Send the same letter to the BBB and maybe the AG's office in your home state. Pictures - make sure you include them. They knew about it, so its no real surprise to Tracker.

The dealer, who was nice enough to charge you shipping for the paint which you didn't want - I'd report him too to the BBB.

If you need his name (CEO), contact your local BBB - they will find it for you or before you report the dealer, ask him - then report him.

My friend got beat on a deal in Florida cause he waited 2 years to complain.

I would not for 1 minute put up with that crap.

bobby

according to the 'net...Tracker is privately held. Johnny Morris ( Bass Pro Shops) is the owner.

Tracker Marine Corporate Office | Headquarters
2500 East Kearney Street Springfield, MO 65803
(417)873-5900

In 1978, Bass Pro Shops' founder Johnny Morris revolutionized the boating industry when he introduced the first fully rigged boat, motor and trailer package on the market. More than 30 years later, that tradition of excellence and innovation is found in every model in the Tracker Marine Group lineup. Whether you’re searching for your first fishing boat or upgrading the family fun boat, rest assured your boat is crafted to provide you and your family years of quality experiences on the water. .

If everyone stopped buying trackers in the late 90's, they'd still have a solid following. Seems like they really started cutting corners around 1999.

They started cutting corners when they used ply wood in them. Mine was all rotted in my 87 MV-16, And all the foam was water logged too, They should of used Closed cell, But overall the boat is solid.

That's just half of it, after the first time I used it the paint on the bottom chipped off. I wasn't overly concerned because I knew I was putting a floor in it. But now seeing how easy the paint is coming off of the sides, I really feel I made a mistake buying a Tracker.

IMO $1000 for a brand new boat is a great deal. Jon boats are utility boats not luxurious bass boats. If the paint chips, oh well. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I own a tracker 1436 and the paint is coming off in places as well.

Kochy said:
They started cutting corners when they used ply wood in them. Mine was all rotted in my 87 MV-16, And all the foam was water logged too, They should of used Closed cell, But overall the boat is solid.

No arguing the foam should be closed cell, and while all aluminum construction would be great, Tracker wouldn't sell half as many boats if they had to charge for all aluminum decks.

A 20+ year old boat should have rotten decks and waterlogged foam IMO.

cali27 said:
IMO $1000 for a brand new boat is a great deal. Jon boats are utility boats not luxurious bass boats. If the paint chips, oh well. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

There's a difference between paint chipping, and a manufacturing defect. Why even paint the boat if it'll ****-near scratch off with your fingernail?

Yeah, We're replacing it all, like a full overhaul, everything that isn't too mechanical, because me and my dad aren't know it alls when it comes to boats.

They should give ya discount if ya email em.

Kochy said:
Yeah, We're replacing it all, like a full overhaul, everything that isn't too mechanical, because me and my dad aren't know it alls when it comes to boats.

Keep reading on this site. You'll be a know it all before you know it. :wink:

:? That sentence is a paradox :shock:

Well it doesn't look/sound like it'll be too hard to strip down and give a nice paint job to your liking, sounds like a good winter project to me.

There were quite a few other brands of boats to consider when you bought that one, but I think maybe you chose the Tracker because they had the best price.... nothing wrong with that, but it's something you need to take into consideration before you bash them too hard.

cali27 said:

I agree, you get what you pay for. Tracker Topper boats are cheap both in price and in quality. Yes, Jon boats are utility boats, not luxurious bass boats - but then why do so many of us here on this site, spend so much money customizing these so-called 'utility boats'. I think that people should know what they are paying for.

1000 is cheap,but its still 1000.the paint should at least stick to it. whats next, inferior rivets? cutting corners doesn't help sell boats if customer satisfaction tanks,no matter how cheap the're sold for.

I had trouble getting tracker to replace the capacity sticker on a 2006 tracker GRIZZLEY. the sticker was peeling off, and falling apart. they would have sent me one for $75.00. some of my origional posts were on this subject. finally did get someone with a little common sense to send me one, after several letters to the USCG complaining about how these capacity lables didn't seem to meet specific regulations.
GOOD LUCK!

sent in an email as the live chat said there were no available agents, the response I got was pretty much the warranty applies to the physical workmanship of the boat, not the paint. even though the website's description says the paint will provide years of corrosion protection to your boat, it's been 7 months and it's been stored in a heated garage, I've only taken it out maybe 10 times at most, there shouldn't be this much paint missing nor should it just come off so easily.

Latest posts